Need help please

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By My02RedRide
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Dec 2017, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Need help please

I have a 2006 Touring edition non-turbo, automatic. I got it used and in great condition. However after a month it started doing some strange things. 1.) I have to let it warm up in order to drive. If I shift into reverse or drive without warming up it will throw a code and go into "safe" mode. 2.) My computer diagnostic portal does not give up any codes to ANY machine. It works because power is flowing through it, but no codes. EVEN the key turn trick does not give me any codes. It just says -done-.

Help me all you Obi Wan Kenobis! You are my only hope! LOL

Thanks to all,

Ryan
Old 27 Dec 2017, 05:27 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Need help please

i would try cleaning the IAC first.

free to try (:
Old 27 Dec 2017, 05:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL20066 View Post
I have a 2006 Touring edition non-turbo, automatic. I got it used and in great condition. However after a month it started doing some strange things. 1.) I have to let it warm up in order to drive. If I shift into reverse or drive without warming up it will throw a code and go into "safe" mode. 2.) My computer diagnostic portal does not give up any codes to ANY machine. It works because power is flowing through it, but no codes. EVEN the key turn trick does not give me any codes. It just says -done-.

Thanks to all,

Ryan
I would suggest pulling the camshaft sensor, start the engine, and see if you get a engine trouble code for that sensor. If you don't get a code for the camshaft sensor then you need to find out why the computer is not triggering the engine trouble codes. If you do get the engine trouble code for the camshaft sensor I would suggest borrowing an scan tool that will read transmission trouble codes. You might have an electrical or mechanical problem with the transmission but usually it will give you a P0700 code. Post what you find out.

What OBDII Scan tool are you using to diagnose the problem?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 27 Dec 2017 at 05:39 pm.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 06:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks to all,

Ryan
How many miles on the car? Very strange no codes set. Is the Check Engine light on? Is the trans fluid good on the stick at proper level when checked hot at running temps? Is the trans fluid looking dark red to brown if you've checked it? Safe Mode means in Limp In Mode and should be only 1 forward gear, 2nd gear.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver
Old 27 Dec 2017, 06:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks to all,

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

I've had two past Mopars that did this. Both times it was lack of front pump pressure. And once the fluid warmed up, both would shift normally. Also, it's possible for the tranny to go into "limp home" mode without throwing a P-code.

If me, I'd try the easy things first. I'd do what Steve suggested to assure the PCM is registering codes. Sometimes, members have reported a loss of communication with the PCM that has turned out to be a sign of PCM partial failure. In these cases, an OBDII scan tool usually reports back that it cannot communicate. If you have a scan tool, see if can read anything from the PCM such as the VIN number. Even the cheap $12 scanners usually do this nowadays. But if not, unplugging the cam position sensor is a good way to throw a code that all scanners should be able to read. It should also work perfectly with the key dance as well.

If I found no problem with PCM communication, I'd likely move on to changing the transmission fluid and filter. There's a chance that the low pump pressure is due to a partially clogged transmission filter and/or burnt transmission fluid. If no joy after doing that, I'd then removed the valve control body located on the front of the transmission almost directly beneath the air filter. This valve body can be cleaned and/or replaced at home. Changing the fluid and valve body are just about the only service you can perform on these transmission without specialized tools and equipment.

And if none of this works, you will likely need to find a good trustworthy transmission shop. That's really hard to find sometimes because many will just tell you the tranny needs to be rebuilt. This keeps the shop from having to do any real diagnostics and helps maximize their profits. So finding a trustworthy transmission shop is all important for something like this. Plus, salvage yards are literally loaded with these transmissions. And a used one is likely going to be cheaper than rebuilding one.
My02RedRide likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Dec 2017 at 06:28 pm.