PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Belt sqeak

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2018, 01:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Belt sqeak

My belt(s) are making noise. They are around 40,000 miles on them both. I had an allignment and tensioner issue I fixed.

I知 not sure if the belt is just old or it痴 my harmonic balancer. I think in the cold the rubber gets hard. It seems to wobble a little too much.

Any advise ? Should the balancer wobble a little?
Old 03 Jan 2018, 01:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Belt sqeak

no it should not wobble at all. i looked in the computer but there's no runout spec i could find. IIRC somewhere i read (probably a ford book) around 0.015" is generally the high limit for a crank pulley
Old 03 Jan 2018, 09:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Flat belt noise it typically from the smooth tensioner idler being glazed. What happens is the back of belt does a slip / stick as it walks across the idler. ( No system is perfect, there will some walk )

To diagnose, mist some water on the belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does, it is a belt noise issue, if not there is a bad bearing or the bent tension is too loose.

The fix is to sand the idler with 80 grit to roughen it up a bit so the belt has some grip. On some cars ( in general not PS specific ) I've had to sand the size / number sticker as it was too smooth.

Your alternator does not have an idler and is adjusted by moving the alternator.

The power steering and AC compressor have a spring loaded tensioner / idler that could be the source of the noise.

How many miles on the car? Timing belt tensioners could be making noise as well.
Old 03 Jan 2018, 09:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

168,000 miles

The harmonic balancer is moving... haha

I think when I did the timing belt I put pressure on it and damaged it.

All 40,000 miles old
Timing belt, idler water pump, tensioner
Both belts
Full belt tensioner

I guess I値l pull the longer belt off and see if the altinatit belt is making and noise first.

Then I値l probably just put a new harmonic balancer and belt and see how it goes. Too cold right now to doo it.

Just seeing what you guys thought
Old 29 Jan 2018, 04:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

I知 actually having the same issue after I did my timing belt service. I致e already replaced the accessory belts and tensioner with Gates ones and the noise has returned I even checked to see if my power steering pulley was to far in as that can affect some years. I guess I値l be joining in the adventure of harmonic balancer replacement soon
Old 29 Jan 2018, 05:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Read my post 3 before throwing parts at the car.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 05:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

My alternator belt has been squeaking off and on for years. My friend calls it Angry Birds. When it is particularly damp out it can get really bad and the battery light has come on a couple of times. OTOH, I have been waiting until I do the torque struts and LCAs to swap the belt and low and behold it seems to have cured itself. Knock wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
Read my post 3 before throwing parts at the car.
He says his crank pulley is wobbling. It sounds like he has a different issue than slippery belts/tensioner.
rob302 likes this.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 07:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

If the alt belt makes noise at initial start up, it is too loose. Startup is when alt load it highest because the battery is recharging.

You can tighten it from top of car, just did it yesterday in sub 5 min. Use an open end 15 mm wrench to loosen the top nut a turn, use a 13 mm box to turn the jack screw clockwise ( when looking from passenger compartment ). You can reach farther behind the engine / alt and feel the belt tension. The belt is very short so the adjustment between too loose and too tight isn't very much. ( A long belt stretches more giving a bigger window of adjustment )
Old 29 Jan 2018, 09:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I see there's an oddly placed post causing a little confusion here
Old 29 Jan 2018, 09:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Im still speaking along....

Im getting tired of working on her. haha I've got a new to me dash to instal. one window motor. My rear brake lights are loose and squeak on the highway. haha

I think I'm going to use my boat oil changer to suck the engine oil out on my next change. Just so I don't have to get under it. Seriously.