Advertisements
Headlight flicker

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 06_PB6_TOURING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2018, 09:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Headlight flicker

Drove the 06 PT for the first time in the dark , ( recently got the car had had fixed it up ) . If the high beams are on ( turn signal stalk pushed forward ) and I tap the stalk forward, the lights usually give one very quick blink per tap. I can't yet tell if the high beams are dropping out completely leaving no light or they go out and the lows come on / go back out.

It is definitely a switch issue unless it is possible to flash the high beams when they are on but, I doubt it as the action isn't constant. I do know that pulling the stalk fully rearward will flash the high beams regardless of main headlight switch being on or off.

I suspect the headlight switch is a set of resistors that signal the TIPM to perform various function but need to dig up a wiring diagram.

Has anyone run across this headlight flicker issue? I did a quick site search but have not come up with a similar problem.

Thanks
Old 03 Jan 2018, 11:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Headlight flicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
My recently acquired lightly damaged on the right front 06 had a check engine light and in the past someone added grounds to the right head light / turn signal / horn. After pulling the radiator support back into place, the engine would crank but not run.

The problem was traced to passenger side ground wires corroded away. The terminal has two crimps. The first grabs insulation as a strain relief and the second one is for conductivity. Between the two crimps is where the wires corrode away. The wire ends didn't slightly tarnish, they completely turned to brown dust that fell apart when poked at.

I ended up using yellow ( 12 to 10 gauge ) eyelets and inserting 4 or so ground wires per eyelet. After fixing all of the grounds the engine ran and check engine light cleared.
You seem to have wiring issues going to the headlights. Its always a good idea to give us a heads up on any issues when you start a thread asking for help otherwise it's a guessing game.
Old 04 Jan 2018, 08:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Drove the 06 PT for the first time in the dark , ( recently got the car had had fixed it up ) . If the high beams are on ( turn signal stalk pushed forward ) and I tap the stalk forward, the lights usually give one very quick blink per tap. I can't yet tell if the high beams are dropping out completely leaving no light or they go out and the lows come on / go back out.

It is definitely a switch issue unless it is possible to flash the high beams when they are on but, I doubt it as the action isn't constant. I do know that pulling the stalk fully rearward will flash the high beams regardless of main headlight switch being on or off.

I suspect the headlight switch is a set of resistors that signal the TIPM to perform various function but need to dig up a wiring diagram.

Has anyone run across this headlight flicker issue? I did a quick site search but have not come up with a similar problem.

Thanks
Might be a wiring/grounding issue per Steve's comment. But as is usually the case, the multifunction switch is the weak point. Even on 2nd Gen PT's, these seem to wear out over time. If me, I'd try replacing the switch either with a new one or a $5 salvage switch. The complete wiring diagram is available in the service manual. If you need a copy, you can download it from my Google Drive at this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04 Jan 2018, 06:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the manual! I'll get it when I'm at a fast internet connection.

The quote Steve posted is mine, all bulb grounds are good.

The high beam indicator flickers when stalk is tapped forward / lights blink.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 04 Jan 2018, 06:37 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the manual! I'll get it when I'm at a fast internet connection.

The quote Steve posted is mine, all bulb grounds are good.

The high beam indicator flickers when stalk is tapped forward / lights blink.
Why tap forward..??
Pushing forward should click & turn high beams on....
Pulling towards you turns high beams on till you let go.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 05 Jan 2018, 06:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Why tap forward..??
Pushing forward should click & turn high beams on....
Pulling towards you turns high beams on till you let go.
Yes, I know the functions. I found out the tap forward / flicker while adjusting the dash lights with the high beam on.
Old 06 Jan 2018, 10:03 am
Cool Cruiser

A bit of an update.

Looked at the wiring diagram. The turn signal / headlight / multo function switch has:

Constant battery power

Switched battery Power

Ground

LIN bus ( like CAN except one wire , slower )

The flicker is going to be caused by a faulty switch contact or a bad solder joint in the switch. On other cars I've seen switches select different resistances when a function is requested. This eliminates lots of wires and is pretty reliable, until the grease on the switch contacts drys out and increases resistance / generates an open.

Ford had used variable resistance for cruise control all the way back to the early 80's but not on a CAN / LIN bus. Rather than having 5 plus wires to the steering wheel for cruise functions, there were 2.

The manual also states if the multi switch fails, the TIPM turns on low beam headlights / all other running lights as a fail safe.

Will take switch apart and clean / inspect at some point.

Last edited by 06_PB6_TOURING; 06 Jan 2018 at 10:05 am.