PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear hatch electrical pad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jan 2018, 10:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Rear hatch electrical pad

Hi Everyone,

Behind the rear hatch emblem I push on the electrical pad and it won't release the lock. it was cold and stopped working.

Any advice on a fix or how to test the actuator?

Thank you in advance
Old 21 Jan 2018, 10:19 pm
Banned

Default Re: Rear hatch electrical pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovering06 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Behind the rear hatch emblem I push on the electrical pad and it won't release the lock. it was cold and stopped working.

Any advice on a fix or how to test the actuator?

Thank you in advance
There are several threads on the forum, just search Touchpad Switch,

But you can start with this one:

Liftgate touchpad replacement

See post #34 for the switch I installed on my PT.
Old 21 Jan 2018, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just replaced mine. There not that hard to replace. They have replacements on E-bay for under $200.00.
Old 21 Jan 2018, 11:30 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
Just replaced mine. There not that hard to replace. They have replacements on E-bay for under $200.00.
Are you talking about the entire outside emblem, which of course would have a new touchpad switch?

IMO, it's easier to add a $5 replaceable switch, which is how Chrysler should have designed it from the beginning, because another touchpad switch is bound to fail
Old 23 Jan 2018, 07:50 am
Dedicated Cruiser

That touch pad is a bad design. For want of Chrysler spending a few more pennys to insure a better switch they can go prematurely. Of course at the current age of our PTs we can no longer consider it premature, but due.

A lot of times as the rear hatch lift handle touch pad fails it fails in the open position finally burning out one control portion of the RKEM. This oft time goes undiagnosed as the other portion will continue to function. At least that's what happened to SOOO BIG in 2014. That handle alone was only $100.00. Much less than the ebay offering. I replaced both units for $235.00 including shipping from what I've found to be one of the most reasonable Mopar sources. Parks Motors, Augusta, Kansas. Back then I asked for Billy. his name's on the receipt but I covered it up when I covered my info. They gave me a great discount over retail. See receipt attached. I thought it was the best way to go for a fix. It's been well over three years and no problems since in this respect.

Just be sure when you reinstall a new rear hatch lift handle that the under seal covers the attachment holes. In a lot of cases from the factory they weren't and promoted water infiltration and under hatch rust.

Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_20180123_0002 (488x640).jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 23 Jan 2018 at 08:15 am. Reason: addition