Oil Pan Gasket

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 06_PB6_TOURING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jan 2018, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Pan Gasket

so ive had my pt for a few years now, its a base model non turbo manual
i try my best to keep up with what it needs to keep it going.
i like to go by the rule you treat it right, it treats you right.

so my oil pan was starting to show more than just seepage around the mating area so i was time to do the gasket after 14x,xxx mi
so i got a new mopar gasket and installed it. i am just a bit concerned over one thing.

so i was always shown to use RTV, i dont know why thats just what i was taught. so while i ordered the gasket i asked for a tube of rtv from mopar and the service rep said i shouldn't use it on the oil pan gasket because it can actually cause premature leaking. so i didn't use any i just pulled the pan scrubbed all the dirt off and cleaned the mating are and tightened her down and called it a day (im also praying that the upper deck area the holds the crank isn't seeping).

im just curious what everyone elses thought is about that? should i have used rtv? will it cold up fine?
Old 26 Jan 2018, 04:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Pan Gasket

I'm from the old school of tinkering and have always used some type of sealant. Back in the days of my rebuilds, I used the old brown Permatex. Since the advent of RTV, I have used the gray Permatex more than anything else. All I can say is if it's not leaking, then you did a good job and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 04:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

I always use copper coat
Just a fine brush on
Old 26 Jan 2018, 07:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Use Ultra Grey RTV ONLY in the corners / seams where the oil pump housing meets the oil pan area (dab each seam). You will also need 2 dabs at the back of the block where the rear main seal adapter meets the pan. Another leak point is the oil filter adapter where it bolts onto the side of the oil pan. Torque of the pan to block fasteners is CRITICAL as well as the sequence. The bed plate is coated with Loc-Tite 515 anaerobic and usually don't leak.

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver
Old 27 Jan 2018, 09:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Too much silicone / RTV is a very bad thing when it squishes out , gets sucked into the oil pump and locks the gears.

Per the manual, just a dab where the front cover / oil pump hits the block is needed. At worst, if this is left off you eventually might get a seepy leak.

This gasket is likely silicone with a metal core or bushings at the bolt holes. These bushings maintain proper gasket crush height and give the bolts something solid to hold against. Hand tight or almost break the bolts off tight and the gasket still seals the same however even tightening is a must so the pan remains flat.

Silicone gaskets are reusable if in good condition and allow the aluminum pan to expand at a different rate than the iron block. Add a large amount of sealer to these gaskets and that advantage is lost.
Rayvin60 likes this.