PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Beware Pennzoil EURO Synthetics and Leaks

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2018, 10:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Beware Pennzoil EURO Synthetics and Leaks

Been a long time PZ oil guy and a few months ago, while shopping at Wally World, I picked up a few jugs of PZ's best, or so I thought.

Recent changes to their packaging - all now yellow - made me look at the labels more closely, and not seeing the Silver jug, I took the EURO-labeled 5w-30 stuff as it's replacement. Silly me.

A few days later, I changed oil in two of my PTs and immediately went from the oil drips associated with high mileage cars to full-blown puddles. Yes, puddles.

It didn't immediately dawn on me as to why, but after changing back to a lesser grade, the leaks have slowed but not completely stopped.

It seems the oil flushed whatever was keeping the oil in and is/was running right past the camshaft and main seals. I struggle with getting them to clog back up.

Not sure why PZ did this, but this customer is no longer smiling.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 07:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Beware Pennzoil EURO Synthetics and Leaks

Back in the day when there was an oil called Arco-graphite was supposed to be the greatest thing, graphite in the oil that looked black as ink.. well it didn't quite work out. Like your new oil if you had a seep it turned into big drips. Every gasket leaked. I would write them and basically say.... what the HELL??

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver
Old 28 Jan 2018, 07:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Keep watching this posting. A user by the name of GOLD2006 will be along to argue with anyone that has anything bad to say about Pennzoil.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 09:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Shouldn't that provide incentive to fix the leaks?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 11:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Keep watching this posting. A user by the name of GOLD2006 will be along to argue with anyone that has anything bad to say about Pennzoil.
I thought that was "Amsoil" that GOLD2006 was selling? I figure he will show and cite some tests showing it's impossible for Amsoil to leak due to artificially intelligent nanobots in the oil programed to keep it in the engine.

The more likely fight will be uninformed folks that claim that a motor oil cannot increase leaking and that it's the fault of the OP for having any potential leaks to begin with. However,this is not true at all.

Some POA synthetic oils are known to leak more due to smaller average molecule size increasing their ability to penetrate. This happens in factories that switch to POA oils quite often. Also some additives work as surfactants that reduce surface tension and allow the oil to seep through smaller openings. Other oils can have more aggressive detergents that break down sludge and can sometime even break down gasket materials and increase leaking in some types of engines. The truth is that there are a number of ways that what the OP describes can and does in fact happen.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Jan 2018 at 11:13 am.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 11:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Easiest thing to really find out about your oil...

This test will state facts .

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Easy as 1-2-3 and 30 bucks. Couple weeks later you will get a report.

20171219_131038_resize.jpg

20171219_131047_resize.jpg

20171219_133224_resize.jpg

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Jan 2018, 02:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

European synthetic oils are typically better synthetics for longer life with better detergents than the non European oils. Conventional oils can varnish seals and gaskets, allowing the material under the varnish to dry out and crack. If this happens, a strong cleaning oil will remove the varnish and seep through the cracks. It is usually better to replace the leaking gaskets. If this is not an option, you can try a "high mileage oil" which usually has additional seal swellers and a higher viscosity to help seal leaks. Or you can try adding a motor oil leak stop.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by Gold2006; 28 Jan 2018 at 02:05 pm.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 02:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold2006 View Post
European synthetic oils are typically better synthetics for longer life with better detergents than the non European oils. Conventional oils can varnish seals and gaskets, allowing the material under the varnish to dry out and crack. If this happens, a strong cleaning oil will remove the varnish and seep through the cracks. It is usually better to replace the leaking gaskets. If this is not an option, you can try a "high mileage oil" which usually has additional seal swellers and a higher viscosity to help seal leaks. Or you can try adding a motor oil leak stop.

THIS.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Pennzoil synthetic you tried. The issue is the seals in your engine aren't spring chickens. It is a well-known phenomenon that using a thin synthetic in an old engine that did not have it before will often result in seal leakage. Generally if you start with that synthetic from day one and do proper on-time oil changes, the seals don't get degraded as much to begin with.

I use Pennzoil 5w40 Platinum Euro in my Abarth. It's what the manufacturer recommends - and is also the same oil recommended by Ferrari for many of their cars. .. thus it is $10/quart. 40,000 miles and numerous oil changes later, engine is still tight as a drum.

It's not the oil. It's your car. The fact that it started leaking upon the oil change is as Gold2006 above stated - you replaced old somewhat gummy oil with new oil with new detergents. There are High-Mileage formulations designed to treat old seals and help prevent this.
Gold2006 likes this.
#1: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth in Rosso RED (MAD FIAT)
#2: 2003 PT Cruiser GT in Boring Beige
Old 28 Jan 2018, 06:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm also on the " Fix your leaky car before complaining about how XX oil ruined you car. " train.
Old 28 Jan 2018, 06:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm just spit-balling here, so bear with me:

I once heard a mechanic responding to someone that said that a name brand premium full synthetic leaked way more than when he used a cheap conventional.

Full synthetic oils, especially expensive premium ones, flow much better than regular oils (See testing from all the oil manufacturers as well as independent labs to verify this) and so a slower flowing, conventional might not leak that much from a pinhole, but a fancy synthetic oil might find every leak in the system.

When I switched from the previous owner's conventional to Penz Ultra Platinum, the only thing that leaked was the valve cover and a previously leaking oil pressure sending unit.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.