PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I found a secret headlight adjuster, need pic of back to show everyone where it is

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By 06_PB6_TOURING
  • 4 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By SpaceMouse
  • 1 Post By SpaceMouse
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2018, 07:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default I found a secret headlight adjuster, need pic of back to show everyone where it is

I found a secret headlight adjuster, need pic of back to show everyone where it is.

The regular adjuster is a torx at bottom of headlight between the low beam and turn signal. ( there is a notch in the headlight rubber seal.) This is the factory vertical adjustment.

I've found an adjustment on the top between the low and high beam. This is diagonal to the official adjustment. Turning this should give some horizontal adjustment. I have a couple of broken headlights I'm going to take apart to confirm this will work.

Initial access to this adjustment is more difficult. While replacing the headlights I drilled a hole in the fender bracket near the top inboard headlight nut. This is hole is just inboard of the top nut. For adjustment a narrow flat blade screw driver is used.
rcktpwrd and podo2000 like this.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 07:47 pm
Banned

Default Re: I found a secret headlight adjuster, need pic of back to show everyone where it i

I discovered that a long time ago, after I replaced the headlights, however, the way that the headlight mounts into the vehicle, the screw on the backside is not accessible, unless you drill out a slight "access" to be able to reach it:

The screw for the horizontal (up-down) adjustment is accessible from the outside:

While most replacement headlights might come pre-adjusted close enough for most people, mine did not and were way out of wack. So I modified the fender structure to allow me to access the vertical (left-right) adjustment screw through the access hole in the inner fender panel.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 03:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: I found a secret headlight adjuster, need pic of back to show everyone where it i

Okay, I'm confused. Doesn't horizontal usually mean side-to-side (along the horizon) adjustment, and vertical mean up-and-down adjustment?
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 04:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Wink Re: I found a secret headlight adjuster, need pic of back to show everyone where it i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
Okay, I'm confused. Doesn't horizontal usually mean side-to-side (along the horizon) adjustment, and vertical mean up-and-down adjustment?
Yes they are talking about the adjustment screws in a strange fashion!

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 30 Jan 2018, 05:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

These are the pics I was looking for.

What I'm calling the official Vertical adjustment is up / down.

The hidden one I'm calling Horizontal is left / right. The hidden one probably gives up / down adjustment so one would need to play the factory adjuster against the hidden one to steer things around.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 06:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post

The hidden one I'm calling Horizontal is left / right. The hidden one probably gives up / down adjustment...
Now I'm even more confused...
Azrak likes this.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 07:08 pm
Banned

The hidden adjuster on the back of the headlamp controls the left/right adjustment, the one accessible from the outside on the front of the headlamp controls the up/down adjustment.
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 08:13 pm
Banned

I have revised the nomenclature used on my pics, maybe this will make it clearer

Last edited by rckstein; 30 Jan 2018 at 08:29 pm.