PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Headlights dimming?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2018, 03:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Headlights dimming?

Maybe I should rephrase, the headlights on my wife's 01 while your driving will seem to get brighter? As if there's a burst of voltage hitting them every few minutes. I know it's odd. Could it be a voltage regulator going out? No other symptoms with the car. Anyone experience something like this.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 08:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Headlights dimming?

Does it have the original alternator on it? If so, I'd yank it and put a new set of brushes in it. Of course, I'm NOT an ASE Certified Master Mechanic and don't claim to be, so don't take the word of this old hillbilly, backyard shadetree.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 09:56 am
Cool Cruiser

Hang a volt meter on the system and watch voltage just to make sure it is actually going high and not too low then returning to normal once in a while.

Normal is 13.8 to 14.6 or so depending on battery state of charge, electrical load and temperature.

If you are seeing over 15 V stop driving the car until it is repaired. High voltage will boil out the battery and also damage electrical components.

I " think " early ( at least pre 06 ) cars had the regulator in the alternator. I " know " that the alternators are different between early and late, the small wire has a different plug to prevent a mix up. I " know " that at least the 06 + has voltage regulation controlled by then engine computer. This would be the 4 plug " NGC " type.
Old 31 Jan 2018, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I am suggesting you might have a weak ground or bad contacts.

Check the battery cables. Make sure they are clean and tight.

If battery cable contacts are good I would suggest taking the Pt Cruiser to an auto parts store where they can do an battery load test. This will tell you if the charging system and battery are working properly.
NitroPT likes this.
Old 01 Feb 2018, 12:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to start with changing the battery it is over 5 years old. I'm hoping it will be that simple???? I'll keep ya posted.
Old 01 Feb 2018, 04:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Don't randomly throw parts at the car. Check the charging voltage and load test the battery. I've had batteries go 15 years so 5 years old isn't an absolute measure of service life.
Old 01 Feb 2018, 07:27 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_PB6_TOURING View Post
Don't randomly throw parts at the car. Check the charging voltage and load test the battery. I've had batteries go 15 years so 5 years old isn't an absolute measure of service life.
I agree. Take the PT to your local Autozone or whatever and ask them to do a battery test and alternator test on it. It's a free service and may point you in the right direction.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Feb 2018, 02:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'll get my local autozone to do a load test see what they come up with? I'll keep you informed. Thanks again
Old 02 Feb 2018, 10:00 am
Dedicated Cruiser

This is anecdotal only. My son Pricie had a similar head light dimming problem with his 05 PT Vert last year. A good mechanic checked it out. The battery and alternator tested good. But the cables were corroded. After they were cleaned up the head light dimming was resolved. Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 02 Feb 2018 at 12:30 pm.
Old 03 Feb 2018, 12:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have a new battery and I can watch my dash clock pulse. This tells me I have an alternator issue. But its 4 degrees here and a very cold January. Chrysler did not put the Alternator in a very pleasant place for it to serve its life. Nothing lasts forever!