Timing Belt - tensioner issue?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2018, 08:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt - tensioner issue?

Hi PTers,

Hope all is well... but really looking for some help! I have looked through many posts and you tube videos but not seeing anything really addressing the situation I seem to have. Apologies if I missed something related...

I have a 2010 PT, auto, NA and slogging through the timing belt replacement! WOW! What a pain!

Anyway, I got the Gates timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, water pump and idler pulley) and started to reassemble everything, putting the new Gates belt on. After many, many attempts I am just not able to get the belt over the tensioner pulley even after rotating the tensioner to allow more space to do so...

So the issue is, the tensioner in the Gates kit did not include the aluminum "arm", that the tensioner bolts to, just the bearing. The OEM tensioner was bolted to the tensioner arm which is bolted to the block. I removed the tensioner only (leaving the arm on the block) and bolted the new tensioner to the arm. It looks like the spring tensioner is in the middle of the "V" but its pretty hard to tell exactly where it is and if its set up correctly.

Do I need to redo this and reset the new tensioner to the OEM tensioner arm? I really hope not as this was very difficult to get to this point! But I understand it must be right and will do whats needed

Any hints or tips to get the belt over the tensioner? Or is it just the Gates belt is a beast and just gotta muscle it over the top?

Thanks PTers! Very much appreciate help and suggestions!

BigDodgeGuy
Old 11 Feb 2018, 08:27 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt - tensioner issue?

Ain't it a pain? You do have to loosen the center bolt to allow that square hole to rotate. That allows you to put/take off tension on the belt. After you get the belt on the tensioner, then you align the spring arm into the center of the slot. You need a telescoping mirror to see that alignment. You use a 1/4" socket wrench in the square hole to rotate the pulley until the spring arm is centered in the slot, then tighten the center bolt.

To slip the belt over the pulley, if you are a good contortionist, try this.
Loosen the tensioner pulley bolt until the bolt just about comes off and the pulley can wobble up and down. That might be just enough to get the belt over the pulley. It was enough for me. You might be able to remove the bolt completely, slip the belt onto the pulley, then thread the bolt back into the bracket but be very careful not to cross thread the bolt.

Once the belt is on the pulley, there is relatively lots of slack to take out with the tensioner.

Chrysler could have designed the tensioner to give another 1/16-1/8" movement to slip the belt over it when reassembling it, but they probably took the attitude "this was a hard car to design, let's make it a hard car to fix"
VsandFords likes this.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 11 Feb 2018 at 08:36 pm.
Old 12 Feb 2018, 01:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Awsome!!! Thanks so much for the info! very much appreciate it... I'll give it a go. BTW, I did happen to see another video where the guy replacing the TB used the rounded end of a long box wrench and leveraged it against the center motor mount to "slip" the belt over the tensioner! Hmmm, interesting approach....

And... just to beat a dead horse .... it not necessary to (re)attach the tensioner pulley to the mounting arm in some fashion for resistance/tension??? I can just bolt the pulley to the arm and install the belt and the rotate the lobe to set the belt tension... correct?

Thanks again!

BDG
Old 12 Feb 2018, 03:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDodgeGuy View Post
I can just bolt the pulley to the arm and install the belt and the rotate the lobe to set the belt tension... correct?

Thanks again!

BDG
Correct. Rotating the off-center tensioner is what adds/subracts tension on the belt while centering the spring indicator inside the slot is what adjusts the tension to the correct amount.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 02:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you very much! Really appreciate the assist..

Cheers.

BDG