• 1 Post By rob302
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By My02RedRide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2018, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2008 PT Cruiser Spark Plug Question

My 2008 PT Cruiser was taken in recently had received codes for misfire on all four cylinders P0301-P0304... they said they couldn't find anything wrong... they reset it, it worked fine enough to pass, light came back on, and now the rough idle that had existed before is worse, AND the passenger headlight is now out (though I believe this could just be a coincidence and odd timing)... There are now no codes appearing (I haven't taken it in, just on the dashboard I mean), and the car's RPM will drop to about .5 and the lights flicker, and it sounds in threat of stalling. I drove it around my parking lot and it doesn't sound so bad when it is being fed gas. (They also forgot to hook up the little hose at the bottom of the air filter housing, hooking it back up did help a little but not a lot at all honestly) So my questions are as follows:

Does anyone think that I should try to change the spark plugs?

Is this a different problem that I'm missing all together? (I mean just from experience or theory, obviously without a look at the car I am not expecting a full diagnostic report ha)

And should I take it in rather than do it myself?
Old 13 Feb 2018, 12:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 PT Cruiser Spark Plug Question

changing the spark plugs shouldn't hurt. it will give you a chance to inspect their condition, a chance to make sure the plug wires aren't drowning in oil, and a chance to make sure the upper-to-lower intake is sealing properly. you can also clean and inspect the battery cables while you're under hood.

recommended to use "normal" spark plugs on these.

the headlight issue is mentioned commonly here. most common fix is having the dealer turn it back on. i would inspect the bulb and the tiny ground before going that route. others have wired them together using a relay to make both work. i would advise against that though. if the car decided some day to turn off the other headlight, you'll lose both at once.
mrwilliams84 likes this.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 12:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

By normal spark plugs do you mean like, just not the "performance" ones?

Also I saw two different types that said they fit my car that one said the thread size was 11mm and the other said 25mm... do you happen to know which is correct or if that would just depend on the engine?

Also thank you so much for the quick reply. I will definitely make sure to check for other issues since as you mentioned if I'm already under the hood, may as well, right? Thanks again!
Old 13 Feb 2018, 12:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The little hose at the bottom of the air filter box goes to the PCV valve. Having it disconnected shouldn't make much of a difference one way or the other but being that it was disconnected, check the PCV valve itself. If the plastic body is cracked because of the attached hose flopping around, you'll have a vacuum leak which will cause rough idling just as you describe.

It's a $5 part so replacing it won't be painful at all and it's in a very easy to reach location on the engine.
mrwilliams84 likes this.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am suggest that the fuel pressure be checked as misfiring in all four cylinders could be caused by low fuel pressure.

If you do replace the spark plugs it wouldn't hurt to do a engine compression test just to confirm your timing belt is still good.
mrwilliams84 likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Feb 2018 at 02:09 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 03:34 pm
Cool Cruiser

Before going any farther, have a look at the last page of this thread.

Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error

Check the under hood , inner fender grounds. If any are corroded off fix all of them as the others are near failure as well. There are about 30 ground wires across 3 grounding points. Even the fuel pump ground ends up at a inner fender ground point.

My 06 lost the RF headlight , turn signal , horn and the previous owner added grounds at the sockets. Once I got the car and started fixing the minor crash damage, it lost fuel pump, OBD 2 ground. Once repaired, there were many trouble codes for air bag , communication link and others I don't recall.
Old 13 Feb 2018, 04:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwilliams84 View Post
My 2008 PT Cruiser was taken in recently had received codes for misfire on all four cylinders P0301-P0304... they said they couldn't find anything wrong... they reset it, it worked fine enough to pass, light came back on, and now the rough idle that had existed before is worse, AND the passenger headlight is now out (though I believe this could just be a coincidence and odd timing)... There are now no codes appearing (I haven't taken it in, just on the dashboard I mean), and the car's RPM will drop to about .5 and the lights flicker, and it sounds in threat of stalling. I drove it around my parking lot and it doesn't sound so bad when it is being fed gas. (They also forgot to hook up the little hose at the bottom of the air filter housing, hooking it back up did help a little but not a lot at all honestly) So my questions are as follows:

Does anyone think that I should try to change the spark plugs?

Is this a different problem that I'm missing all together? (I mean just from experience or theory, obviously without a look at the car I am not expecting a full diagnostic report ha)

And should I take it in rather than do it myself?
YES TO THE PLUGS.....
'08 I gather has some miles on her. I would change the plugs. I prefer iridium NGK brand gapped at .040". New plug wires (with a dab of dielectric grease on both ends) as the originals are most likely broke down internally. Replace the PCV valve, install a new air filter and if you have a 1/2 tank of gas dump a full bottle of CHEVRON TECHRON CONCENTRATE in the gas tank. When these things are done.... RUN IT HARD.
mrwilliams84 likes this.

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver
Old 22 Feb 2018, 09:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

My 2.4L non turbo PT Cruiser uses copper Champion spark plugs. If i remember correctly, the part number is RE16MC and they're supposed to be replaced every 30,000 miles.

Tags
2008, 2008 pt cruiser, rough idle, spark plugs