Thoughts on oil drain valve

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By NitroPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2018, 12:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Thoughts on oil drain valve

Hey everyone!

My '02 Lte had an almost rounded off oil drain plug when I got it, when it needed an oil change, I just took it to a local shop I trust so as not to risk it. They changed the oil and replaced the drain bolt with an OEM one for no charge.

After these woes, plus the occasional way too tight oil drain, what are your thoughts on those "Easy Oil Drain" valves that replace the drain plug? Do they work? Are there any related issues? Can you still drain 100% of the oil from the crankcase and pan? I guess my biggest worry is that it could somehow come open while I'm driving, but I don't know how rational this is.

Does anyone use on? I'd love to hear from you!
Old 17 Feb 2018, 12:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Thoughts on oil drain valve

personally i would rather get that last 1/8" of oil out the pan and know it's drained completely, since that usually seems to be where all the funky stuff settles. i'm a bit nutty about it though, i usually dump 1/3 or so of a quart of clean oil through just to flush more of the 'old nasty' out.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This has always been a common worry/thought about some drain plug additions to various fluid pans not just oil but transmission as well.

The drain plug repair kits and any other drain plug that has the bung inside and raised from the pans floor will not get all the oil drained in the pan. HOWEVER....that oil and any sediments or lost fasteners like that washer while working on the top end on the engine that gets dropped seldom recirculates back into the engine unless you have a circle track car or an engine with a HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP and spinning the engine at very high RPMs. What I routinely do about every other or so oil change is spray carb or brake clean up into the oil pan drain plug area and stick a pre shape cork in the drain plug hole. Let it set for a few minutes and then drain. Then spray a good dose moving the little red tube all over they place. You will get the settled remainder of grime to exit the drain plug area.
Besides really if you do oil/filter changes at at least 5000 miles or sooner there should be NO sediment accumulating at the bottom of oil pans.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Feb 2018 at 12:40 pm.
Old 17 Feb 2018, 12:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
This has always been a common worry/thought about some drain plug additions to various fluid pans not just oil but transmission as well.

The drain plug repair kits and any other drain plug that has the bung inside and raised from the pans floor will not get all the oil drained in the pan. HOWEVER....that oil and any sediments or lost fasteners like that washer while working on the top end on the engine that gets dropped seldom recirculates back into the engine unless you have a circle track car or an engine with a HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP and spinning the engine at very high RPMs. What I routinely do about every other or so oil change is spray carb or brake clean up into the oil pan drain plug area and stick a pre shape cork in the drain plug hole. Let it set for a few minutes and then drain. Then spray a good dose moving the little red tube all over they place. You will get the settled remainder of grime to exit the drain plug area.
Besides really if you do oil/filter changes at at least 5000 miles or sooner there should be NO sediment accumulating at the bottom of oil pans.
Great idea!! Is there any risk of the brake cleaner damaging anything?
Old 17 Feb 2018, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Great idea!! Is there any risk of the brake cleaner damaging anything?
NO, that's why you are draining it out. Any small residue left I have never seen on any of my oil analysis reports.

I do some other crazy "arse" things at times before an oil change but I can't post them for most certain the ridicule I am sure would follow and my need to defend my response.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN