PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
timing belt change

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2018, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default timing belt change

my sons 2007 pt cruiser snapped the timing belt and I have to go to Georgia (from Florida) to fix it I will be taking most of the general tools that I will need but is there anything special I should take , I did change my 2004 timing belt a few years back but I cant remember what I used then.
do the camshaft sprockets have to come off to change the tensioner too . thank you
Anthony
Old 20 Feb 2018, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: timing belt change

You will need that all-important harmonic balancer puller. The rest just takes lots of regular tools. A mirror is good too. And the sprockets can stay in place.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 07:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You can call ahead to local shops to see if they have loaner harmonic balancer pullers.

You don't need any tool to hold the sprockets against massive torque if you aren't going to do the water pump or camshaft seals, but you might want to bring along some big binder clips to hold the TB in place while you string it around the pulleys. Maybe a putty knife to act as a shoehorn to slide the center engine mount past the frame bracket or to slide the big metal bracket past the A/C lines (unless you plan on evacuating and disconnecting the A/C lines).

Jack stands and a couple of jacks and wooden blocks will come in handy when lifting/lowering the engine to get the bolts in and out.

The usual breaker bar and 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches and a 1/4" socket wrench to adjust the tensioner while you check the alignment spring with the telescoping mirror. A telescopic magnet to fish out any bolts that drop and get stuck in a small space.

Good luck
Old 20 Feb 2018, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i am going to do the water pump as its still the original , so do i need the cam sprocket puller too
Old 20 Feb 2018, 11:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

You shouldn't need a puller for the camshaft sprockets; just a holding tool for loosening the bolts. The sprockets have to come off in order to remove the rear timing cover. The rear timing cover has to come off to do the water pump. I'd suggest you get a Haynes manual from Auto Zone or O' Reilly's. It'll walk you though the process and give you essential information such as aligning the timing marks. A timing belt on a PT Cruiser is a big job, especially if it's a turbo model. You're not going to want to do it twice if you don't have to.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 11:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK, you will need to remove the camshaft sprockets to remove the rear TB cover to get to the water pump.

This tool works well for holding the sprockets while loosening the bolt (80 ft-lbs)

Lisle Universal Cam Adjuster Tool 38220

While you're down that far, it might be a good idea to in fact change the camshaft oil seals. This tool helps pull the seals without the need to drill a hole in the seal and use a pick to pry it out. You won't be able to use a drill because there's not enough room to drill straight down into the seal.

Lisle 58430 oil seal puller

You can use the old oil seals to help pound in the new seals so that they are flush with the surface of the head. Don't go too much further than flush.

Something like Lucas Oil Red n' Tacky holds the water pump gasket to the pump while installing it.

Don't use RTV or you might break the gasket.

Old 21 Feb 2018, 06:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

I think its a good idea to do the camshaft seals , why do i need to touch the harmonic balancer or is it the same tool to get the camshaft sprockets off ?.
i have a Haynes type manual and i did do my 2003 timing chain several years ago , its not something i want to do again but needs must
Old 21 Feb 2018, 07:12 am
Banned

In addition to the cam seals, I think you should also consider replacing the crank seal and center motor mount with a new bolt, in addition to everything else that has already been mentioned.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 08:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

how much extra work is that?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 09:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
how much extra work is that?
It's quite a bit of extra work but worth it if you plan to keep the car for a while.

* By removing the timing sprockets you will be able to remove the plastic dust cover and access the water pump. A rubber door stop will work better than the fancy tool to hold the sprockets.

* For the camshaft seals, you should remove the valve cover and right-end camshaft cap. This means you will need a new valve cover gasket too. But the factory gasket tends to leak after a while so that's a good thing.

* For the crankshaft seal, you will have to pull the lower timing sprocket. The seal can then be pried out and a new one tapped in.

* Replacing the center right motor mount is also a good idea. It's only four extra bolts once tore down for the timing belt change.

Replacing the water pump, idler pulley and tensioner are all highly recommended with you do the belt. Doing the seals and center motor mount as good ideas but not necessarily required.

rsrocket1 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Feb 2018 at 09:50 am.