Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 non turbo wiring question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2018, 04:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2004 non turbo wiring question

If coolant is spilled all over the engine compartment can it cause any wiring to short out? And is there to isolate a short going to a component using OBD 2 tool?
Old 21 Feb 2018, 04:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 non turbo wiring question

A 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol (antifreeze base) is not very conductive. With only a 12 volt potential, you are usually not going to see any shorting. And no, there's no real way to assure anything is de-energized based on an OBDII command on a PT Cruiser using just a handheld code reader.

Exactly what are you trying to do? There may be a better way.
Old 21 Feb 2018, 04:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 non turbo wiring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
A 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol (antifreeze base) is not very conductive. With only a 12 volt potential, you are usually not going to see any shorting. And no, there's no real way to assure anything is de-energized based on an OBDII command on a PT Cruiser using just a handheld code reader.

Exactly what are you trying to do? There may be a better way.
If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be sitting here trying to troubleshoot potential issues by looking at a tiny little screen. 😊

I am planning on replacing the radiator fan and was remembering when the timing belt was changed the tech said he spilled coolant all over and it took many days and miles to burn off.

Wondered if he shorted out the fan wiring. Then I watched a YouTube showing how to change the fan and I will likely spill some too... So just trying to make sure I don't get bit twice by the same snake. But if wiring was so dangerous when wet we would all fry alive first time we drove through a bit of precipitation.

OMG maybe that is what's wrong with me! First time I ever drove it was raining and my brain hasn't been the same ever since. 😉