Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2018, 11:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Did i order the right part?

Everything i searched for the fan assembly pointed to dorman 620-022. Now i re read the description and it says "without controller" and i cant find an assembly WITH a controller from dorman. Do i need an assembly with controller and if so who manufactures it?
Old 28 Feb 2018, 12:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Did i order the right part?

That fan only has the 3 pin plug. If your relays are mounted on the car body, this is for you. If your fan has the 2 relays mounted on the plastic fan shroud, then you want the other version. It almost looks the same with the 3 pin plug but in addition, there is another harness attached to it that has a 4 pin plug and the relays that mount on the upper passenger side of the fan assembly.

It looks like this one:

The relays are actually on the top and the plugs go on the lower drivers side.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 01:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
That fan only has the 3 pin plug. If your relays are mounted on the car body, this is for you. If your fan has the 2 relays mounted on the plastic fan shroud, then you want the other version. It almost looks the same with the 3 pin plug but in addition, there is another harness attached to it that has a 4 pin plug and the relays that mount on the upper passenger side of the fan assembly.

It looks like this one:

The relays are actually on the top and the plugs go on the lower drivers side.
In mine the relays are in the under hood fuse box. And its got the 3 pin connector. What im unsure of is. Is there an assembly that comes with the controller,? Because the one i ordered costs less than what everyone said it might. I ordered tbe only dorman sells for a 2004 on tur on
Old 28 Feb 2018, 05:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You paid $65 for the fan? That's about right. The Gen 2 fan with the extra harness and 2 relays cost me $83.79 for the Doorman from Rock Auto a couple of years ago when they were still carrying Doorman products.

If indeed your low speed brushes are worn out, then what you bought is all you need and ought to fix your problem.
OldMiner likes this.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 07:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Both versions of the fan for the NA just plug into the cars wiring harness on the lower drivers and back side of the fan housing near the battery.
Carefully inspect the car side of the fan harness for burning or heat damage, I had to wire around the connector due to the my ground ( center pin in the connector)
over heating and melting the connector which causes a poor connection. Had to solder wire around ground, tried male and femal connectors but they too failed.

turbo may be different.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 28 Feb 2018 at 07:25 pm.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 07:18 pm
Banned

I don't know about the Gen1, but for my Gen2 you can get a bare fan or fan complete with new relays and new harness from the relays to the main vehicle harness.

When the shop first replaced the fan, they got just the bare fan and new relays, but reused the short section of harness. It worked for a while then failed. When I took it back to them, they discovered that the short section of harness from the relays to the vehicle main harness was defective.

You can't get just that short section of harness. So they had to get the complete assembly just to get the harness and all has been well since.

What I'm trying to point out is that I believe that if you're going to replace the fan, to get the version that includes new relays and a new wiring harness, could save you some trouble later.
OldMiner likes this.