Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By OldMiner
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve
  • 1 Post By JoeX
  • 1 Post By OldMiner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2018, 09:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Its d day (day of new fan installation)

I have the manual downloaded from this site, Chilton manual and a dorman 620 022. What I would really like is a DIY step by step tutorial on the internet showing preferably a 2004 non turbo but would settle for any year non turbo. I can't read and turn a wrench so it's easier to follow the bouncing ball. The hits I'm finding on YouTube all seem to skip one step or another but it seems vital not to skip over anything! Thank you in advance.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 12:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Its d day (day of new fan installation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
I have the manual downloaded from this site, Chilton manual and a dorman 620 022. What I would really like is a DIY step by step tutorial on the internet showing preferably a 2004 non turbo but would settle for any year non turbo. I can't read and turn a wrench so it's easier to follow the bouncing ball. The hits I'm finding on YouTube all seem to skip one step or another but it seems vital not to skip over anything! Thank you in advance.
Most important step that the videos on youTube seems to skip is taking the battery and batter support plate off so you can move the radiator fan towards where the battery support plate was and then lift it out making it less chance of damaging the radiator fins.
Carnut likes this.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 02:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Most important step that the videos on youTube seems to skip is taking the battery and batter support plate off so you can move the radiator fan towards where the battery support plate was and then lift it out making it less chance of damaging the radiator fins.
I didn't pull my battery support, but I had the grille and upper support out and just pulled it towards the front of the car. I had a decent amount of room, but caught and broke the plastic handle off my dipstick.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 05:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Anything worth doing once is worth doing twice aye?

Got down to four screws left to remove at the bottom of the fan. None of the videos show them being removed. One hint is the holes on the new fan. Is it just MY car that's built like this - need a 4 ft long monkey wrench to get at them from above or a snake arm to remove them from below?

I don't even think I could get to them if the bumper is off. Forgeddabout the battery and plate! I think there's enough room if I could get those 4 screws out. I had to abandon 🚢. Put it back together with losing only 2 screws! Not entirely, I know where they are. Rattling behind the nether reaches of the front bumper. Gonna tackle it again tomorrow morning. Any suggestions other thAn grow longer arms or teach a hamster how to turn a wrench?

PS I tried to pull the battery and can't find any straps or screws holding it down but can't lift it. Probably due to frustration over 4 screws.
Old 05 Mar 2018, 08:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Battery has 1 bolt between the battery and air box which can be pulled up (not attached to anything) after you remove the top by unclipping the spring keepers.
Battery bolt is 13 mm
Fan housing as I remember only has bolts along the (2) top and the side to remove from the AC condenser
And 2 on the bottom
I use a 1/4 drive ratchet and socket. 10 mm
OldMiner likes this.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 06 Mar 2018, 11:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Battery has 1 bolt between the battery and air box which can be pulled up (not attached to anything) after you remove the top by unclipping the spring keepers.
Battery bolt is 13 mm
Fan housing as I remember only has bolts along the (2) top and the side to remove from the AC condenser
And 2 on the bottom
I use a 1/4 drive ratchet and socket. 10 mm
2 on top, 1 on each side, 2 on bottom. Battery removal might help to get to the lower one on the right but the left not sure. Will start tackling it in about an hour.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 11:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Just be careful with the red tabbed electrical connectors. The PT has them everywhere and it's essential that you first release the red tab, then push the locking tab, then pull apart the connectors. Don't force anything. A loose or broken fan harness connection is not good.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
Anything worth doing once is worth doing twice aye?

Got down to four screws left to remove at the bottom of the fan. None of the videos show them being removed. One hint is the holes on the new fan. Is it just MY car that's built like this - need a 4 ft long monkey wrench to get at them from above or a snake arm to remove them from below?

I don't even think I could get to them if the bumper is off. Forgeddabout the battery and plate! I think there's enough room if I could get those 4 screws out. I had to abandon ��. Put it back together with losing only 2 screws! Not entirely, I know where they are. Rattling behind the nether reaches of the front bumper. Gonna tackle it again tomorrow morning. Any suggestions other thAn grow longer arms or teach a hamster how to turn a wrench?

PS I tried to pull the battery and can't find any straps or screws holding it down but can't lift it. Probably due to frustration over 4 screws.
That is what I thought until you try to get the radiator fan pass the upper radiator hose fitting. You will find the radiator fan plastic tabs at the bottom of the fan will try to gouge the radiator fins as you are pulling the radiator fan out pass the upper radiator hose fitting.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 01:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
That is what I thought until you try to get the radiator fan pass the upper radiator hose fitting. You will find the radiator fan plastic tabs at the bottom of the fan will try to gouge the radiator fins as you are pulling the radiator fan out pass the upper radiator hose fitting.
You could.... after removing all the bolts and top radiator hose, slide a piece of cardboard between the radiator and fan housing to protect the fins on the radiator as you remove the fan.

It was a thought once but I never had any problem without the cardboard, just tied the top rad hose out of the way and puled the radiator toward the front enough to slide the fan housing out and back in...
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 07 Mar 2018, 06:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Nobody suggested any YouTube step by step instructions but my favorite vid showed a fan assembly replaced in less than 4 minutes. 2 days later, now I know what all of the missing steps entail. One of the integral tools needed for this task is a lift or floor jack. I don't know about all of the others who DIY'ed this job but I have to reckon they are munchkins. I could not get the bottom fan bolts on without clearance to see and use both hands. If anyone has done it without a lift I would like to see the video.

So now that I have viewed the core support and fan assembly I find salvage parts and sloppy hammering the core support instead of replacing it. I'm a DIY kind of person but I prefer new parts after getting wrecked. Not only was the front end full of salvage parts, the fan was salvage too. Wherever it was before, it had plenty of mileage on it because it was OEM. and I put another 40k on it. But now it has an aftermarket fan that turns on immediately when I turn on the AC or defrost and that's all that matters. It wasnt the relay so I'm glad I replaced the fan, bloody knuckles and all. The temp gauge has been hovering right at the center but bucking like a wild pony when idling with the AC or Def on. Now it hovers just below the middle and I can adjust the car interior temp without fear of blowing the engine. No shaking.

The missing steps that are not on YouTube, don't exist in chilton or Chrysler manual..... I am taking to my grave.
rckstein likes this.