PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
interesting fuel economy facts and observations

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2018, 05:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default interesting fuel economy facts and observations

So on the subject of regular vs premium... in the winter time with 87oct (in AZ) we hit the fuel light at roughly 240miles. with 91oct we hit roughly 290/300miles. with 87 @ $2.25g and 91 at $2.75g both comes to .13cents a mile. with time being valuable, premium it is!

in the summer with 87oct we get the usual 290/300miles till the lite comes on- and I don't have any figures on 91oct in the summer because for me its pointless to spend more.

The fact is that every pump at all better stations in the past have had a sticker stating ( literally) "from October to march (or something close to that) this pump dispenses gas with ethanol in it". Whats odd is as a lot of these pumps have been replaced or what ever, these stickers have disappeared because I look for them. But the crappy performance remains because I pay attention to it. The budget crap gas stations which year round water down their gas (Valero, beacon etc) always have the 10% ethanol sticker on the pump. and you thought cocaine dealers were the only ones cutting their product? no sir...

on a completely different topic have you noticed the pace picante sold at Costco is a lot more "watery" than the pace sold elsewhere? I have. and the guerrero tortillas are thinner? I guess ive been pissing off the wife bitching about how Costco isn't really a better deal anymore. (ok, maybe the meat, and maybe 20 years ago..) And worst, have you ever actually looked at a itemized bill from a hospital stay? $20 for a ibuprofen?! and a gazillion dollars for a doctor who steps outside and googles your symptoms? Oh world.... Pay attention to what you pay for- so far Napa gold parts are better than your doctor and what you eat...
rockandroller and dougs like this.
Old 06 Mar 2018, 09:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: interesting fuel economy facts and observations

Here in WV we get ethanol Year round. There is a winter mix to. But you really can't find pure gas anymore. Yes you dont get as good performance or milage on ethanol. But the climate people feel better.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Mar 2018, 10:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
So on the subject of regular vs premium... in the winter time with 87oct (in AZ) we hit the fuel light at roughly 240miles. with 91oct we hit roughly 290/300miles. with 87 @ $2.25g and 91 at $2.75g both comes to .13cents a mile. with time being valuable, premium it is!

in the summer with 87oct we get the usual 290/300miles till the lite comes on- and I don't have any figures on 91oct in the summer because for me its pointless to spend more.

The fact is that every pump at all better stations in the past have had a sticker stating ( literally) "from October to march (or something close to that) this pump dispenses gas with ethanol in it". Whats odd is as a lot of these pumps have been replaced or what ever, these stickers have disappeared because I look for them. But the crappy performance remains because I pay attention to it. The budget crap gas stations which year round water down their gas (Valero, beacon etc) always have the 10% ethanol sticker on the pump. and you thought cocaine dealers were the only ones cutting their product? no sir...

on a completely different topic have you noticed the pace picante sold at Costco is a lot more "watery" than the pace sold elsewhere? I have. and the guerrero tortillas are thinner? I guess ive been pissing off the wife bitching about how Costco isn't really a better deal anymore. (ok, maybe the meat, and maybe 20 years ago..) And worst, have you ever actually looked at a itemized bill from a hospital stay? $20 for a ibuprofen?! and a gazillion dollars for a doctor who steps outside and googles your symptoms? Oh world.... Pay attention to what you pay for- so far Napa gold parts are better than your doctor and what you eat...
According to this website, there are supposed to be 2 stations in Phoenix that sell ethanol-free gas:

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?p...e&stateprov=AZ

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 07 Mar 2018, 03:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: interesting fuel economy facts and observations

there are stations around here that sell ethanol free fuel, mostly 89 or 93 octane, but it is quite a bit more expensive...
dougs likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 07 Mar 2018, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here there's ethanol in all grades of fuel year round. But you can usually find 89 octane fuel that is pure gas at a number of stations. I run it in all my power units and in my 1984 1-ton Chevy drill rig.

Our first 2011 Chrysler 300S with the 3.6L Pentastar engine ran MUCH better on pure gas. We would get 5 to 7 miles per gallon better fuel mileage and the engine felt like it had more get up and go. It made little different in out 2015 300S and it makes basically no difference in our 2017 Charger R/T with the Hemi engine. It really makes no difference in the Hemi in my 2006 Charger Daytona either nor in the little 4.7L V8 in my Dodge truck.
Old 07 Mar 2018, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: interesting fuel economy facts and observations

Up here, we can get Chevron 94 with 0% ethanol. ( It's one of a very few ethanol-free fuels offered ! )

I've never put a drop of anything else in, since the PT decided to adopt me, some five years ago...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00367-20100805-1233.jpg (47.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 08 Mar 2018, 04:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: interesting fuel economy facts and observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Up here, we can get Chevron 94 with 0% ethanol. ( It's one of a very few ethanol-free fuels offered ! )

I've never put a drop of anything else in, since the PT decided to adopt me, some five years ago...

how much more per liter is it? is it the same spread between the other fuel grades to that or is it a lot more?
rockandroller likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 Mar 2018, 06:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Re: interesting fuel economy facts and observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
how much more per liter is it? is it the same spread between the other fuel grades to that or is it a lot more?
I really don't pay attention to the cost, so I'm not 100% sure. But my vague impression is that (per litre) it's about 15-20 cents more expensive than "regular". So, about a 15% premium, perhaps?

edit: Fuelly says I'm paying an average of CAD$5.20 per US gallon, averaged over the last five years... that works out to a buck thirty-seven a litre!

Last edited by rockandroller; 08 Mar 2018 at 06:39 pm.
Old 08 Mar 2018, 07:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Here there's ethanol in all grades of fuel year round. But you can usually find 89 octane fuel that is pure gas at a number of stations. I run it in all my power units and in my 1984 1-ton Chevy drill rig.

Our first 2011 Chrysler 300S with the 3.6L Pentastar engine ran MUCH better on pure gas. We would get 5 to 7 miles per gallon better fuel mileage and the engine felt like it had more get up and go. It made little different in out 2015 300S and it makes basically no difference in our 2017 Charger R/T with the Hemi engine. It really makes no difference in the Hemi in my 2006 Charger Daytona either nor in the little 4.7L V8 in my Dodge truck.
But what about your Lear Jet or your 38 foot cigarette twin engine boat? kidding of course..
dougs and Handy_Cruiser like this.

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver
Old 08 Mar 2018, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by My02RedRide View Post
But what about your Lear Jet or your 38 foot cigarette twin engine boat? kidding of course..
I leave all that fancy high-powered stuff to my cousin Bill and his over-controlling wife, Hillary. My side of family likes to keep it simple.