Advertisements
Inlet Tube Water Pump Replacement

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcalzadilla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2018, 04:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Inlet Tube Water Pump Replacement

Just finished replacing my water pump inlet tube, for the first time and it took me about 8 hrs split in two days:
https://ibb.co/gmGiQ7
Aside from the removal/disassembly of the various components to get to it, I still couldn't install the new Dorman brand pipe; therefore:
A-Must sand down the corrosion that is on the round orifice where the new "O" ring will fit. Carefully, methodically, wet-dry sand paper 200, 800, 100 removing dirt/corrosion after each sanding so it won't go into your cooling system. Took maybe 3-5 min.
B-Take off "O" ring (try it with the o ring and you will see why) and attempt at installing the two pipe mounting screws. I found the top screw to easily hand fit but the bottom one will not because of that curvy twisty bracket.( But you do need two screws to mount this pipe because it will be handling water pressure.)
This interesting tab can be managed into position: Flat steel movement is easy with a set of pliers, thin (edgewise) steel movement can be done with a piece of 2x4
wood (maybe 10 inches long), tap, tap and it will move sideways.
Once you can mount both screws, then you can use the shiny new part, not before. But I got frustrated at aligning the tab and gave up on it. My dear wife suggested I clean and paint the old pipe (which would fit easier) and wasn't badly corroded and install the new "O" ring on that. Just love this woman of mine, she always comes up with a great solutions for me! Or maybe I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer and she still loves me.
C-Be sure to have some Super Lube synthetic grease for the "O" ring and small diameter heater hoses.
Doesn't seem like much but, you will remember this advise.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.