Error Codes, PCM? 2006 Turbo Automatic

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By myckee
  • 1 Post By JoeX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2018, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Error Codes, PCM? 2006 Turbo Automatic

So I've been having the repeated problem with some codes coming up on my PT Cruiser. I've talked to a few people and it keeps going back to possibly being the PCM. With this being an expensive part I don't want to replace something that doesn't need to be replaced. I've been having the problem with my car since I got it with the two codes that I will upload on the screenshot. It causes the car to go into limp mode and it won't shift. Then the other day we got the third code about the air leak. We did replace one hose that was cracked. But we can find no other air leak anywhere. My husband is an old school mechanic. He's been doing it for quite a while but he's not real good with some of the newer cars when it has to do with the computer. I'm uploading a picture of the codes on my car. If anyone has any advice on what they feel that it could be and if you think that the PCM could be going out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180312-170235.jpg (9.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 12 Mar 2018, 06:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Error Codes, PCM? 2006 Turbo Automatic

While it could be the PCM, it could also be the TIPM (totally integrated power module...computerized fuse box under the hood), a bad wire between PCM and TIPM, or something as simple as poor battery connections and/or poor grounds on the ground pin on the inside of the driver fender. I have read a few reports where it was a bad TIPM that was the cause of the problem rather than the PCM.

I strongly suggest cleaning the battery connections and taking the ground wires off the stud in the fender and cleaning them as it really could be as simple as that.

On another older thread, one of the members posted the alldata diagnostic procedure for trouble shooting the P0882 code. Perhaps your husband can do the diagnostic procedure:
P0882 Low input signal
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 06:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your response Mike. I seriously love this form LOL everyone is so helpful and nice and never treat you like you're stupid LOL. I'm going to talk to my husband tonight and in fact he did try to sign up for this forum but he was having problems signing up. But there is such a wealth of information here. I really appreciate everyone's help with all the post that I've made regarding my car.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 03:49 am
Senior Cruiser

The transmission is is controlled by the PCM connected to the transmission through a multi-pin plug connection on the
front of the transmission which is located pretty much under the battery support tray. Since it faces upward it can
get water or oil or antiFreeze if you have a leak in it and cause problems.

It should be clean and dry inside the connector. Find the ground on the left fender behind the battery, I've corrected
several problems on my PT Cruisers because the grounds in the eyelet were actually broken and the only fix was to
cut off the eyelet, strip the wires back about an inch, I then soldered the clean copper wires to new eyelets. Use new
multiple eyelets and just a few wires for each which is much easier to work with instead of trying to stuff all the wires into one eyelet.

I've had problems with my TIPM (fuse box holder behind the battery box)
and the PCM but none related to the transmission, you may find different results.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 13 Mar 2018, 07:47 am
Cool Cruiser

The fender ground wires tend to corrode from the terminal not the actual fender, be sure to tug on them. There are about 30 wires spread between the drivers fender ( near battery ground wire ) and passenger side in about the same mirror image.

Have a look at post 83 here. The fender does not have to come off if you have a pistol grip type wire stripper.

Embarassing question I have to ask because I made a huge error
Old 18 Mar 2018, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just wanted to update here that we cleaned all the connections and checked for corrosion there was some. We did tighten the positive on the battery cable we didn't see anything that look too terrible. So we took it out on a test drive and cleared the codes it's not throwing a code right now but it is having some major hesitation to shift, it shifts into first gear pretty quick but then it hits about 5000 RPMs before it shifts again. And the Turbo isn't kicking in. We took the air filter off and it seems to run a little bit better when it's getting a little more air. I'm wondering if you have an opinion about what you think given this new information now as to what we should try replacing. Also my husband was wondering if it is okay to drive it about 30 miles to work and back or with this should it just be parked for now to prevent further damage. This problem is so frustrating. He's usually really good at figuring things out but this one definitely has him stumped and we hate to just start throwing Parts into it as they're pretty expensive. The codes are screenshot on my original post up top of this thread.
Old 18 Mar 2018, 09:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P0882-TCM Power input low
P0882 is set when there is less than 3.0 volts present at the transmission control output circuits located in the PCM when the Transmission Control System request the power up of those circuits.

Possible Causes:
Transmission Control Circuit short to ground (T15)
Transmission Control Circuit open (T15)
PCM

P0274 = Manifold Pressure / Throttle Position Correlation; High Flow & Vacuum Leak

Possible Causes:

1. Vacuum leak in hoses or component connections
2. High resistance or resistance to ground in MAP 5 volt supply or signal circuit
3. MAP Sensor has failed
4. High resistance in MAP ground circuit
5. Throttle Position Sensor has failed or is improperly adjusted
6. High resistance or resistance to ground in Throttle Position Sensor 5 volt supply or signal circuit
7. High resistance in Throttle Position Sensor ground circuit
8. PCM has failed

I agree with JoeX. One member has taken the connector apart on the wires going to the transmission under the battery plate and put dielectric grease on the connectors and the P0882 code went away. I would also suggest resetting the trouble codes with an OBDII Scan Tool and post what codes come back.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Mar 2018 at 09:17 pm.
Old 19 Mar 2018, 12:24 am
Senior Cruiser

Just cleaning in mycase was not good enough, when I uncrimped the wires from the eyelet on the fender 3 wires were separated (broken due to deteriorating copper exposed to the elements) from the eyelet.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh