PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 non turbo cooling fan now runs on high speed all the time

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2018, 10:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Talking 2004 non turbo cooling fan now runs on high speed all the time

Not sure which I prefer, a fan that runs intermittently or one that only runs at high speed. I replaced the low speed RELAY and it didn't change anything it still blows only on high speed. I went through a drive through eatery and the window host said he could barely hear me from the order pole because of the fan noise. Anybody know an easy fix?

Last edited by OldMiner; 15 Mar 2018 at 10:15 am.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 05:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 non turbo cooling fan now runs on high speed all the time

If you really want to know. This will turn the fan on from wherever you place the switch and run it with only 100 mA going through the switch and wires and it will stay on as long as the switch is in the on position and never turn off on less you turn it off.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So the replacement of the radiator fan did not fix the low speed on the radiator fan? Did you test the new radiator fan on both low and high speeds before putting in the Pt Cruiser?

Does the low speed come on when you start the engine cold, turn on the A/C, and start the engine? The low speed on the radiator fan should come on almost immediately.

If the new radiator fan works good on both speeds manually I would suggest first put the original low speed relay back in the Pt Cruiser. Start checking the wiring on the low fan speed side and especially check the radiator fan plug. On one of my new radiator fans I bought I found the radiator fan plug to be defective and I had to replace it with the original radiator fan plug that came out of the Pt Cruiser.

Its d day (day of new fan installation)

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Mar 2018 at 06:37 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 07:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
So the replacement of the radiator fan did not fix the low speed on the radiator fan? Did you test the new radiator fan on both low and high speeds before putting in the Pt Cruiser?

Does the low speed come on when you start the engine cold, turn on the A/C, and start the engine? The low speed on the radiator fan should come on almost immediately.

If the new radiator fan works good on both speeds manually I would suggest first put the original low speed relay back in the Pt Cruiser. Start checking the wiring on the low fan speed side and especially check the radiator fan plug. On one of my new radiator fans I bought I found the radiator fan plug to be defective and I had to replace it with the original radiator fan plug that came out of the Pt Cruiser.

Its d day (day of new fan installation)
At first, the low speed fan came on instantly with the ac cranked at startup after installing the new fan. And I was relatively certain the low speed relay was working after leaving the dealership after the diagnostic (which was useless because they did not check the wiring yet that's why I took it there) so I assumed it was a bad fan and a new one would solve the issue.

The fan arrived about four days after the promise date. In that short interval while waiting for the part we went from cold weather to smoking hot. I was glad to have ac without risking overheating because also during the wait time for the fan, the old one went back to only operating intermittently. All was well initially after installing it. Low speed came on when it should, and I've never heard the high speed fan due to the wheel noise etc. But I assumed the high speed was always OK because it never overheated (and it has been in some extremely high temps). When we recently went from hot to cold again, when I ran the defrost it sounded like a Sherman tank. And it has never stopped running the high speed fan until today, I let it idle almost 20 minutes before it simmered down. I thought of the plug right away when it started getting wonky but I am not an electrician, in fact wiring confounds me. So I COULD take it to the dealer but if all they're going to do is spin the fan and tell me it works it's of no value.

What diagnostic equipment SHOULD they be using besides eyeballs?

Now it's raining every day since this started and I'm looking for mods like water wings instead of wheels. Might install some oarlocks and try paddling instead. In any case I can't get into it right now without drowning and could ask the dealer to use their equipment but what equipment should they use? YouTube shows a tech using an electronic device to test the relays and all the connections. Shouldn't any dealer worth their salt have similar diagnostic tools?

I guess the big question for now is, will it harm the engine to run the high speed instead of alternating between high and low?
Old 15 Mar 2018, 07:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post

If you really want to know. This will turn the fan on from wherever you place the switch and run it with only 100 mA going through the switch and wires and it will stay on as long as the switch is in the on position and never turn off on less you turn it off.
I really want to know how to dial it back to low and high speed but admittedly confused by wiring. But thank you for mentioning it, will no doubt help someone out there.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 07:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

[QUOTE=ptcruisersteve;684146] On one of my new radiator fans I bought I found the radiator fan plug to be defective and I had to replace it with the original radiator fan plug that came out of the Pt Cruiser./QUOTE]

So sure it was a done deal I threw the old fan away in the box from the new. I realized yesterday I might need the old one but waste management already picked up.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 08:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Lets go back to the beginning.

Does the radiator fan come on with the engine cold, turning on the A/C, and starting the engine?

Does the radiator fan come on with the engine cold and first starting the engine without the A/C?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Mar 2018 at 08:04 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 08:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:

Does the radiator fan come on with the engine cold, turning on the A/C, and starting the engine?
Affirmative, captain!
Old 15 Mar 2018, 08:19 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:

Does the radiator fan come on with the engine cold and first starting the engine without the A/C?
Sorry you edited after I looked at the first q. #1 is yes, #2 is yes also.

I'm meeting a friend in about 10 minutes, will catch up later on "as the radiator fan turns"

Last edited by OldMiner; 15 Mar 2018 at 08:22 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 08:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
Sorry you edited after I looked at the first q. #1 is yes, #2 is yes also.

I'm meeting a friend in about 10 minutes, will catch up later on "as the radiator fan turns"
This indicates that the PCM is possibly looking at the low speed relay circuit being open and automatically turns on the high speed on the radiator fan.