PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 2.4L running issues.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2018, 01:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 01 2.4L running issues.

Then what if things go from bad to worst? Is it the new PCM, or this sensor or that sensor..If you are going to play swap-tronics, best to do it with one item at a time and review the results.

Semper Fi (USMC 96-01)

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." -Einstein
Old 22 Jun 2018, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Then what if things go from bad to worst? Is it the new PCM, or this sensor or that sensor..If you are going to play swap-tronics, best to do it with one item at a time and review the results.
That's what I said in my post, I'm replacing the sensors and working on the Cat before I plug in the new PCM.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 08:41 am
Regular Cruiser

This car is becoming a nightmare...... So I replaced the O2 sensors and after some faffing about with the timing covers (wife dropped an exhaust manifold nut into the engine bay, had to make sure if didn't get wedged somewhere) we fired it up on the old computer. Still super rough idle.

Pulled a battery cable and installed the new reman computer. Fired it up and the idle is better but it looks like I've now got a vacuum leak around the EGR tube on the intake manifold.

Cat checks out good, we flow tested it with a shop vac and it feels like there is no blockage.

Just seems like I solve 1 issue and 3 more creep up.
Old 02 Jul 2018, 10:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Alright so we have some diagnostic information. I've been using my OBD2 adapter and my torque app and reading sensors and testing different things. It's pointing to either an invisible vacuum leak, a clogged EGR, bad MAP sensor, or the idle air control valve is shot. What I'm seeing is the fuel trim dropping to -20 at idle, when the fuel trim is at 0 at idle it runs smooth. It slowly drops to -20 over about 30 seconds to a minute and the rough shaking sets in. Rev it up a few times trim goes back to 0 and then drops again at idle. Any gurus with a wild ass long shot idea for me to try? It's got brand new O2 sensors and a brand new reman computer. Also cyl 3 and 4 spark plugs are black and cyl 1 and 2 are normal.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 11:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Got it back together enough to drive today. Still really sluggish under 40 miles an hour and 4k rpms, after it hits 40 it takes off. It feels like the transmission just doesn't know what to do. Also it finally popped a code p0172 Bank 1 Fuel Rich, fuel trim at idle when the code popped was - 25 which I looked up is the cutoff to pop the code. So it's running rich at idle. I need help with this, I've gotta get this car running before the 22nd.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 01:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dercannius View Post
Got it back together enough to drive today. Still really sluggish under 40 miles an hour and 4k rpms, after it hits 40 it takes off. It feels like the transmission just doesn't know what to do. Also it finally popped a code p0172 Bank 1 Fuel Rich, fuel trim at idle when the code popped was - 25 which I looked up is the cutoff to pop the code. So it's running rich at idle. I need help with this, I've gotta get this car running before the 22nd.
P0172 - Fuel System Rich

Possible Causes:

1. Base engine fault - cam timing incorrect, oil level too high
2. EVAP vapor recovery system failure
3. Fuel control Sensor is out of calibration - ECT, IAT or MAP
4. Fuel delivery component fault - injector leak, high fuel pressure
5. O2 element is contaminated, deteriorated or it has failed
6. O2 heater is damaged or it has failed

Some members found it helped when they replaced the MAP sensor. Check your MAP sensor.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Jul 2018 at 01:04 am.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 01:17 am
Regular Cruiser

That helps a lot, thanks Steve. I cleaned the MAP once already, but maybe it is time to replace it.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 06:47 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Alright so we have some diagnostic information. I've been using my OBD2 adapter and my torque app and reading sensors and testing different things. It's pointing to either an invisible vacuum leak, a clogged EGR, bad MAP sensor, or the idle air control valve is shot. What I'm seeing is the fuel trim dropping to -20 at idle, when the fuel trim is at 0 at idle it runs smooth. It slowly drops to -20 over about 30 seconds to a minute and the rough shaking sets in. Rev it up a few times trim goes back to 0 and then drops again at idle. Any gurus with a wild ass long shot idea for me to try? It's got brand new O2 sensors and a brand new reman computer. Also cyl 3 and 4 spark plugs are black and cyl 1 and 2 are normal.

Quote:
This is from the Service Manual:

dercannius likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 12 Jul 2018, 09:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Is there a slow learn procedure? Or some kind of self calibration I can do? It popped 2 more codes P1490 and P1193. I've got a list of suspect sensors now and I think I'm just gonna replace them all. TPS, MAP, intake temp sensor, and the idle air control valve.
Old 12 Jul 2018, 09:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Also was able to repair the low speed on the fan, the brushes where super worn. It works now but not sure for how long, replacing the fan as well.