Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear sway bar install where none exists now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2004, 11:34 am
Young Cruiser

Default Rear sway bar install where none exists now

I have a 2003 touring edition with no rear sway bar. Has any one installed a rear bar where no bar originally existed? Was it a benificial change? How difficult was it to install?
Old 14 Jul 2004, 12:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

Your best bet is to do a search within this forum using "sway bars", "anti-sway bars", "Eibach sway bars", etc. However, since we're a friendly bunch, here is my 2 cents.

My PT also didn't come with a rear anti-sway bar. The addition of the rear anti-sway bar dramatically improves handling performance. The car is much flatter in corners and is easier to control. It feels more solid and takes less effort to drive briskly on a curvey road.

There are several brands to choose from including Mopar. You'll need to purchase a hardward installation kit either from your Mopar parts department (lots if individual parts already posted on this forum) or from Eibach (kit #2860.320HKR) in addition to the anti-sway bar. I strongly recommend that you use the same brand for the front and rear bars. Handling is better matched front to rear for a balanced ride. FYI, Mopar is supposed to be releasing a Stage 1 suspension upgrade kit which includes anti-sway bars. You might check into that also.
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|
Old 14 Jul 2004, 12:34 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Even though the bar isn't there, the retainer mounts and endlink assembly bolt holes still are. Depending on you r approach, you can do it yourself, all being required is a set of ramps and some tools. If you use the Eibach sways, there is a kit with the endlink assembly. If you use a different bar, then you can get the endlink and retainer clip parts from any dealership. All it is is 2 endlinks, endlink bolts, 2 retainer brackets and their associated bolts.
I did mine, it was fun and saved me 300- in install labor.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html