Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lowering the car, how does it effect the rear shoc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2004, 11:36 am
Young Cruiser

Default Lowering the car, how does it effect the rear shoc

I have a 2003 touring edition. I am planning on installing a set of performance spring. This should result in approximatley a 2" front and 2.3" rear drop. How would this drop affect the function of the rear shock, if at all?
[:I]
Old 14 Jul 2004, 11:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Try a search on "rear shocks". One of the first hand experiences is from Mike-In-Orange:

"This may be my 100th post on this topic:

If you lower your car, like I did mine, the stock shocks/struts are just not up to the task of lowering springs. They were designed to be used with the springs that came with your car. I installed a set of GoldLines on my car, 1.5" drop front/2" drop rear. It took me about a month before I got sick and tired of the rear end bouncing all over the place - which was due to the stock shocks not being able to properly control the rebound of the new springs. Certain dips at speed on the freeway resulted in some pretty nasty bouncing at the rear, and hitting similar dips in turns was really unsettling.

Almost a month to the day from the spring install I swapped out the stock shocks/struts for a set of Tokicos. Yes, I know, Tokico makes the OEM shocks/struts, but these are different and designed to be used with lowering springs. The improvement in ride quality was and continues to be dramatic. Handling has futher been improved."

Hope this helps.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 05:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:MichaelDay Posted - 07/14/2004 : 10:51:53 AM Try a search on "rear shocks". One of the first hand experiences is from Mike-In-Orange:

"This may be my 100th post on this topic:

If you lower your car, like I did mine, the stock shocks/struts are just not up to the task of lowering springs. They were designed to be used with the springs that came with your car. I installed a set of GoldLines on my car, 1.5" drop front/2" drop rear. It took me about a month before I got sick and tired of the rear end bouncing all over the place - which was due to the stock shocks not being able to properly control the rebound of the new springs. Certain dips at speed on the freeway resulted in some pretty nasty bouncing at the rear, and hitting similar dips in turns was really unsettling.

Almost a month to the day from the spring install I swapped out the stock shocks/struts for a set of Tokicos. Yes, I know, Tokico makes the OEM shocks/struts, but these are different and designed to be used with lowering springs. The improvement in ride quality was and continues to be dramatic. Handling has futher been improved."

Hope this helps.
What he said. Oh, wait, I originally said that - Thanks M.Day! Someone on another forum even publicly thanked me for recommending the Tokico shocks because it made such a difference in his car. Lower your car, put in proper shocks/struts, and just be careful around curbs and such - you'll love it.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 11:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Have to agree with both Mike-in Orange and MichaelDay. I have the Goldline/Tokiko set up and it is Awesome. It only feels slightly stiffer than the stock ride, but the handling is insane. My 03 Cruiser NA now handles like my old 97 VW Jetta GLX that had a sport tuned suspension. If you do lower, definately do the shocks at the same time (you'll save money like I did) or soon after, you won't be sorry. I purchased the Tokikos from Shox.com for approx. $275 and picked them up myself since they are here in San Diego.[?]
Old 18 Jul 2004, 12:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

BTG fronts, slammer series rears and Tokico blues all around. Quite lovely.

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 02:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Wow. I've got Eibachs on both the '01 and the '03 with factory shocks and neither rear end bounces around and I've been known to drive hard into and out of curves.[?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 18 Jul 2004, 11:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Graveone,
Welcome to the forum!!!![8)]

Gonz
Old 18 Jul 2004, 12:30 pm
Regular Cruiser

Regarding rear end bounce with factory shocks and Eibach lowering springs. When I did that mod to my previous PT, the rear end bounce was increased but not to the point that is was unmanageable. It was just annoying because the rear end shouldn't have noticeable bounce. I planned on upgrading to Koni's but traded in the car for a PT GT. On the GT, I'm much happier with a set of KW coilovers which I've adjusted the lowering to about 2" front and 2.5" rear.
[IMG]|2003 PT GT 5-Speed | Mopar Stage 1 | Mopar 2.5\" Dual Exhaust | Mopar Short-Throw Shifter | Mopar HO Plastic Intake | Mopar Boost Gauge | AGP WGA/BOP | APC Carbon Fiber Taillights | Axis 19x8 Wheels/Yokohama 225/35ZR19 Parada Spec2 Tires | BTG Strut Tower Brace | BTG Billet Shorty Antenna | Eibach Anti-Sway Bars | HKS SSQV BOV | JLM Motor/Tranny Mounts | KW Variant 1 Coilovers | Maxxfab 3\" Downpipe | NGK Iridiums | Prototypepower UCP/CAI v5 | PTeazer Smoothie Roll Pan | Screamin\' Demon Coil/Livewires | StopTech Slotted Rotors/Hawk HPS Pads/Stainless Steel Lines | Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley|