Advertisements
02 just shuts off

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2018, 04:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 just shuts off

I have an 02 cruiser that I just swapped engines in, and it runs great, so I went on my first drive and got down the road a mile or two and it just shut off, no stumbling, spitting or sputtering I mean it just stoped, I tried restarting it and it would not fire, turned over fine but no fire,so I pulled over thinking A wire came off
,wiggled a few wires and it started right up, so I took off back toward home, 100 yards down the road and it did the same thing an it did it every 100 yards all the way home.when I got home It had thrown a p1391 code (wheel speed sensor). So with all that said, I have two questions, can that cause my problem and where is it?

Thanks
02nonturbo
Old 15 Apr 2018, 08:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 02 just shuts off

did you do the read yourself? my manual does'nt show 4 digit codes but the internet says crankshaft or cam shaft position sensor... which is a common cause for stalling. make sure the connectors didn't get damaged swapping the motor. its common to mistake the cam sensor with a intake sensor but you had it running. thoroughly inspect the crank sensor w/ a compact mirror and the same w/ the cam... a lot of systems rely on both but the crank is a biggie. many votes here for using a genuine Chrysler part or youll be stranded in another 6 months!

I'm 90% positive there is no wheel SPEED sensor, just abs sensor and maybe tire height (psi) sensors but one of our '02 members will chime in. there is a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the top of the transaxle that is easy to change but if you own a reader, clear codes and re read. its easy for the OBD to confuse itself... again, use mopar....

oops... looks like they call the abs sensors wheel speed sensors! I doubt those would cause a engine stall though.. I always associated wheel speed sensors with traction control... my bad

Last edited by rambojoe; 15 Apr 2018 at 10:09 am.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 12:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The P1391 fault code you are getting indicates a "bad" or "no signal recognized" from either Camshaft or Crankshaft sensor. I would suggest checking the wiring going to both the Camshaft and Crankshaft sensor.

The wire harness clip is common on the 2001 & 2002 Pt Cruisers to break and drop down and rubbed against the half shaft or frame and burnt out the wires including the wires going to the Camshaft or Crankshaft sensors.
pt06 likes this.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 12:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

So do you have 2 codes are is 1 of them fixed..??

P0016 code?????

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 15 Apr 2018, 02:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I looked up the code on the list posted on this site,it showed the speed sensor ,but after doing some research,it looks like it will be one of the sensors,I replaced both of them when I swapped the engine put I got them from advanced auto parts,so I’m going to replace them with Chrysler parts in hopes that will do the job,I did check the wires to see if it had any bad wiring,I also got under with it running and wiggled all the wires and pushed them up against the engine to see if it would shut off.on the other code I had listed on another post, I also have a 06 signature edition that I also replaced the engine in,I replaced the timing belt on it and I think I am a tooth off and it looks like the code it’s showing is the timing is off so I’m going to remove the belt and try and get it lined up right..
I’ll post if replacing the crank and cam sensors fix the problem I’m having.

I replaced the cam and crank sensors and it fixed the problem,thanks guys

Last edited by Joes06ptcruiser; 14 May 2018 at 08:48 pm. Reason: Fixed problem
Old 17 Apr 2018, 04:28 am
Senior Cruiser

Since you did an engine swap, check that the cam sensor and the coil wires are connected properly. I've read that they are interchangeable.
Old 18 Apr 2018, 02:36 am
Senior Cruiser

the wire colors for a 2006 are:

cam position sensor ------ orange; black/lt.blue; tan/yellow

coil ----------------------d.blue/tan; d.green/orange; black/gray

Yours may [?] be similar