PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
has there ever been a different motor swapped in a pt besides a hemi v8??

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2018, 05:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default has there ever been a different motor swapped in a pt besides a hemi v8??

im looking for anything regarding somebody putting say a honda engine in a pt cruiser.

or anything besides just using the stock motor.

the only swaps i have seen are v8 swaps.

how hard would it be to swap to a different engine if it was a honda vtec 4cyc
Old 19 Apr 2018, 06:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: has there ever been a different motor swapped in a pt besides a hemi v8??

If you are asking..........then for you VERY HARD!

Nothing personal.

I helped my friend install one in his early 70's Mini and with all our resources and contacts in the performance and fabrication world and about 10k of his money it was easy!

To do it in a PT it would actually be almost the same mods. Soooo you got 10k laying around to do a swap like that in your PT?
ptprice likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Apr 2018, 06:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: has there ever been a different motor swapped in a pt besides a hemi v8??

Personally i would love to do a coyote swap into a pt ..mmmm.. the only reall problem is those engines arent cheap.. you could always just follow the mindless crowd and ls swap it .. of course that means making the car rwd..
Old 19 Apr 2018, 06:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'd like to stick a Cadillac Northstar front clip in the back end of a PT. I think I could. Like just weld the front end into the back. It would be easier and cheaper and easier because you wouldn't need things like custom axles. Just a good donor car, some steel, a welder, and beer
Old 19 Apr 2018, 10:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

V 10 viper, V6. GM. Were done as well as v8s.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 20 Apr 2018, 06:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A Honda engine in a Mopar? That's blasphemy. Why don't you just get a Volvo and drop a 302 Ford engine in it? There's a kit developed by Paul Newman available for that and would be much more acceptable in my honest opinion.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 08:46 am
Banned

There are a couple points you need to understand;

1. Most people (99.99999% of them) do engine swaps to upgrade their power plant to something more powerful, better gas mileage, etc., etc. So you want to downgrade? I don't get it.

2. This would cost a bundle.

3. If you have to ask if it would be a hard task, then yes, for you it would be. If you were mechanically inclined at all, you would have a good idea what would be involved. That leaves paying someone else to do this for you and that would be a less than desirable choice on your part.

This is my drivers rear view mirror. It's self explanatory.

another that I rotate with from time to time.

Jerry
NitroPT likes this.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
I'd like to stick a Cadillac Northstar front clip in the back end of a PT. I think I could. Like just weld the front end into the back. It would be easier and cheaper and easier because you wouldn't need things like custom axles. Just a good donor car, some steel, a welder, and beer
Ya this thread is interesting...I wonder how many members have actually done any projects that consisted of swapping a completely different engine or powertrian in vehicle.

Personally the first one on my own cars I did was a complete Oldsmobile 455 and trans axle in the rear of a 67 442. The front was straight axled and a beer keg was the fuel tank. There was only a clear plexy glass dividing the 2 buckets front seat from the engine directly behind you. That was oh around late 70's.
Then there are my V-8 conversions in a couple of my MGA's
I guess we can't really count that my AC Cobra's all had Chevy engines? Or can we? Technically it was not a conversion but a build?
And the usual yanking the small block outta the 55 and 57 and transplanting a big block. But that was always semi easy. Take a hammer to the fire wall for valve cover clearance...lol
Oh can't forget the 240z v-8 transplant. But again there were complete kit to do it so it was actually a week end conversion from start to turn key start finish. Oh and help of a few Gear heads friends and lots of beer.

But doing a conversion in a PT Cruiser....why? Well I suppose if I wanted to
and the interest was there like others have and have done? We have a guy in one of the local PT clubs that has been well known for doing a few wild PT projects I am waiting for someone to post a picture (unknowingly) or two of his PTs .

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Apr 2018 at 11:07 am.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 01:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wasn't there a guy in Hawaii that was putting a V6 into a PT? Tommy?

found it... pt-cruiser-v-6-conversion

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).
Old 20 Apr 2018, 02:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Heh, heh, engine swaps? I've done a few in my time.

Jerry already covered the Mopar V6 in a pt here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
I think that I mentioned in an earlier post that Mothers polish was the first to do an engine transplant on a PT cruiser. They did it to their custom panel Pt that served as their rolling advertisement for a number of years.

They debuted this at a spring SEMA show. Take particular note of the Mike Lavallee of KILLER PAINT'S flames. He IS good.

Jerry
Seems kind of a waste to put in 200hp V6 when you can get a GT with 230hp.
wwpptc and rob302 like this.
http://www.carnut.com/
FB https://www.facebook.com/george.c.mcdowell
My 2005 PT Cruiser GT Convertible Project