Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01 Rough Idle, poor acceleration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2018, 11:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01 Rough Idle, poor acceleration

The car ran fine all day until I went somewhere in town and went to leave. When I started the car the idle was rough then when I started driving it didn't want to accelerate and acted like it was about to run out of gas but never died or sputtered like it was going to turn off. It was like that until I got up to the speed limit (45 mph) and it ran file until I came to a hill and it slowed to 25 mph with the same foot pressure then when at the top of the hill it slowly accelerated again to 55 mph and rode fine for about 2 miles until I slowed down to turn on my road and it was rough again when accelerating and the rest of the way home (lots of curves and small hills). I drove it for about 4 miles total.

When I got home I checked the fluids and it was low on oil so I added some but other than that everything looked fine.

This morning I started it and it had a rough idle again but when I revved it up it went to a normal idle for a few seconds then went rough again. I backed out of the drive way and pulled back in, in reverse it was fine but in drive it was rough. It also didn't want to accelerate still.

The check engine light isn't on, it's not overheating and there are no codes with a code reader. I also haven't noticed change in the gas mileage.
I did spill a little oil when adding it so there is a slight burning oil smell and sometimes I think there is a faint sulfur smell but it's not strong enough for me to be sure that's what it is. I also live near livestock so it's common to slightly smell something rotten outside on windy days. I can smell the oil inside the car with the windows up, I can't smell anything else inside.

Car details - 01 Touring, 162,000~ miles. I bought it used 3 years ago.

The timing belt and water pump were replaced 3 years ago. The starter, thermostat and spark plugs and wires were replaced about 2 years ago and in the past year I've replaced the radiator, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor and the wiring for the crankshaft sensor.

When I search the problems I find it could be so many different things so anything that could narrow it down would be a huge help.

Last edited by ajtn; 20 Apr 2018 at 11:54 am.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 11:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 01 Rough Idle, poor acceleration

the air filter is the #1 other quick check. 2 years is about our limit on plugs as well but make sure all the plugs are on there.. might be able to use a long screwdriver to check the two under the intake manifold. we had a rough idle that was cause by a leaking valve cover gasket which made the plug wire short to the head. plus I just did my plugs- two of the plug gaps were.06 from age...

did you gas up from a unknown station?
Old 20 Apr 2018, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
the air filter is the #1 other quick check. 2 years is about our limit on plugs as well but make sure all the plugs are on there.. might be able to use a long screwdriver to check the two under the intake manifold. we had a rough idle that was cause by a leaking valve cover gasket which made the plug wire short to the head. plus I just did my plugs- two of the plug gaps were.06 from age...

did you gas up from a unknown station?
The air filter is clean. I'll check the spark plugs later this afternoon. I may just go ahead and replace the spark plugs anyways since it's cheap and it could only help.

There's only 2 gas stations near me and I get gas at both regularly but unless I'm out of town I don't go anywhere else. I did have less than 1/4 tank of gas when this started (I've since put in more to see if it made a difference)
Old 20 Apr 2018, 12:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

see if spilling the oil got oil in the spark plug well. that one is easy to get at... pull it up and see if its dry or carbon tracking (white or grey dust at base of boot). its a easy start....
Old 21 Apr 2018, 04:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Chrysler updated the plugs for your car. They recommend RE16MC Champions gapped at .040".
Chrysler plug wires have worked the best for me. About $5 more than aftermarket ones. And they fit well.

That is where I would start, along with a compression test, to get a base line of the engines condition.
Old 21 Apr 2018, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
see if spilling the oil got oil in the spark plug well. that one is easy to get at... pull it up and see if its dry or carbon tracking (white or grey dust at base of boot). its a easy start....
The spark plugs looked fine, I went ahead and replaced them anyways since I had the parts and it was about time for it anyways. It didn't make a difference with my problem though.
Old 21 Apr 2018, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Chrysler updated the plugs for your car. They recommend RE16MC Champions gapped at .040".
Chrysler plug wires have worked the best for me. About $5 more than aftermarket ones. And they fit well.

That is where I would start, along with a compression test, to get a base line of the engines condition.
I replaced the spark plugs and wires today. I don't have the tools to do a compression test do that's something that'll have to go I the list to do later.