PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
COMPLETELY LOSING.....MY COOLANT AND MIND

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2018, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy COMPLETELY LOSING.....MY COOLANT AND MIND

Hello everyone! It has been a minute since I have posted so I will reintroduce myself.

My name is Allison, born and raised in New Orleans, La. and I own a motorcycle repair business as well as a 2005 Non turbo Pt convertible in Vanilla. I'm familiar with the mechanics of engines so I m not at a complete loss on where to start when there I a problem.

Here's the run down:

2 years ago, jumped time. Replaced timing belt and SUPPOSEDLY the dude replaced water pump. Found out about 4 months after timing belt that water pump had NOT been changed so changed pump and stopped speaking to aforementioned person since I had purchased a new water pump but the one I took off was NOT the one I thought was on car. ANYWAY, jump ahead about a year and replaced starter and alternator belt.

THEN, car started to overheat and go through coolant like there's no tomorrow. While trying to diagnose issie, blew the head gasket. Ran some Blue Devil through the system and all was good.....for a couple days. Currently, I am sitting in a parking letting car cool back down for 4th time this trip searching for something I have yet to check. Fan is hardwired to battery, taken thermostat completely put after changing this 4 time in 1 month. Checked and changed fan rely before hardwiring. Changed radiator with new radiator along with new hose and just bought another radiator cap (makes 8 now). Flushed heater core, think I am about to bypass next. No visible leaks, however, no coolant in radiator after driving an EXTREMWLY short distance, like 1.5 miles. BUT hose is tight, and overflow tank is full. Open cap and pressure is released, but RADIATOR is empty.

HELP! I LOVE MY CAR, BUT I LOVE MY SANITY MORE
Old 25 Apr 2018, 05:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: COMPLETELY LOSING.....MY COOLANT AND MIND

I'm not the best mechanic here, not by a long shot, but it smells to me like there could be air in the system? Did you bleed it at all?

Did you replace the head gasket or just tried to use a sealer?

Could it potentially be blocked coolant passages inside the engine block?

Just my spitballings, good luck!!
Old 25 Apr 2018, 05:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest doing an engine coolant pressure test first. If that does not help pull the spark plugs and see if one or more has coolant on it.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 05:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali7805 View Post
Hello everyone! It has been a minute since I have posted so I will reintroduce myself.

My name is Allison, born and raised in New Orleans, La. and I own a motorcycle repair business as well as a 2005 Non turbo Pt convertible in Vanilla. I'm familiar with the mechanics of engines so I m not at a complete loss on where to start when there I a problem.

Here's the run down:

2 years ago, jumped time. Replaced timing belt and SUPPOSEDLY the dude replaced water pump. Found out about 4 months after timing belt that water pump had NOT been changed so changed pump and stopped speaking to aforementioned person since I had purchased a new water pump but the one I took off was NOT the one I thought was on car. ANYWAY, jump ahead about a year and replaced starter and alternator belt.

THEN, car started to overheat and go through coolant like there's no tomorrow. While trying to diagnose issie, blew the head gasket. Ran some Blue Devil through the system and all was good.....for a couple days. Currently, I am sitting in a parking letting car cool back down for 4th time this trip searching for something I have yet to check. Fan is hardwired to battery, taken thermostat completely put after changing this 4 time in 1 month. Checked and changed fan rely before hardwiring. Changed radiator with new radiator along with new hose and just bought another radiator cap (makes 8 now). Flushed heater core, think I am about to bypass next. No visible leaks, however, no coolant in radiator after driving an EXTREMWLY short distance, like 1.5 miles. BUT hose is tight, and overflow tank is full. Open cap and pressure is released, but RADIATOR is empty.

HELP! I LOVE MY CAR, BUT I LOVE MY SANITY MORE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest doing an engine coolant pressure test first. If that does not help pull the spark plugs and see if one or more has coolant on it.
^^^ This is the 1st thing to do, replace the thermostat before the test.

You really should get the head gasket replaced.
Even though it's only been 2 years, you might as well replace the belt & water pump again as the belt has to be removed to do the head....JMO

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 25 Apr 2018, 08:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

My water pump failed a few months after I changed it. Don't lose a friend over it if there's a chance they truly did change it.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 08:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

The coolant tank should be about 1/3 full. The coolant should be checked when the engine is cold, by removing the radiator cap, and, if needed, filled to the top. A bleeding procedure is then performed. PT's can be difficult to get the air out of the system.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 12:04 am
Regular Cruiser

If the head gasket needs to be replaced make sure to gauge the head for warping. The tolerances are not much and anything over .004 is to much. A machine shop can mill the head and also pressure check it. It would be a good idea to have the valve and cam seals replaced also.

If your doing the head gasket I would suggest replacing the lifters as well. Having said that, some may say I tend to over fix things. However if I'm doing a major repair I like to replace as many related components as possible so I don'r have to tear everything down again.
JonN likes this.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 02:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
If I am not mistaken my husband did the pressure test, after he check the compression. However, what harm is the in doing that again.

Spark plugs are fine. It seems ro both my husband and myself that there is a blockage somewhere, but we have checked everything more than once and replaced almost everything that could possibly be clogged. Except, the heater core. That is main reason why thinking of bypassing it to see if that helps.

I am afraid that at this point the head could be warped, although i havent spoken that aloud.

And not losin a friend over the wate pump....there's more to it, but hw did nit change it. There is no way that pump could've become as rusted and such in that short amount of time. Some rust, yes, but it waa bad.

Headed back to try to coax car home with the heater core bypassed. Bailed on it after trying for 7 hours to make it 9 miles. ...I had to stop it every 9mins to lt it cool down and add water to an empty radiator with a full overflow and pressure.

When we bleed it we have started to park on and incline andnnd also try to let it sit for aa long as possible with the cap off so air will come out. Typically, before all that we would use the bleeder valve.until steady stream.

Thank you all for the assistance
Old 26 Apr 2018, 08:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm going to ask two very stupid questions. First, where did you get the water pump and are you sure it's not a reverse rotation on the impeller? And (okay 3rd question) did you start out with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water? Straight water in one is going to get hot very quickly with any kind of leak or blockage.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 26 Apr 2018, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, the water pump is aftermarket, advanced auto part not sure of brand, so not sure of the rotation of impeller. And yes, using 50/50 antifreeze and just water on the fly.

Bypassed heater core about an hour ago, refilled and bled radiator really well using multiple techniques just to be sure. Drove about 2 miles and had to shut down due to getting extremely close to the red zone. Radiator was seemingly empty again, overflow full. Cooled down, refilled and finished trek to house arriving just in the end nic of time.

Got out of car, kicked it, and proceeded to stomp my way inside to pout. Now, I get to ride my bike in the rain.

Tags
2005, coolant leak, non turbo, overheat, radiator