Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT turbo - cooling fan not running

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Apr 2018, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT turbo - cooling fan not running

My 2006 PT Cruiser 4D Limited Turbo - has been reliable, but recently on vacation 500 miles from home, in a drive-through noticed the temp gauge engine overheating. Immediately pulled into parking spot to let it cool. Eventually eased the radiator cap off, it's full. At idle, engine hot, radiator cooling fan is NOT running. Experimentally, back on the highway, it's fine on the move, but temperature rises when not moving. The cooling fan must have been fine before, but doesn't come on now. I operated the car carefully watching engine temps until I got it 500 highway miles home. Turned it off a few times at stops. Fuse 15, (RAD Fan Relay Battery Feed) 50A is fine by multimeter. I see there are 2 (supposedly identical) relays near the left-front edge of the fan, understand they affect fan operation, would be nice to see a schematic. As I explore replacement OEM fans, it appears the turbo version requires a fancier fan? I'd like to fault isolate this if I can, checking simplest things first.
  • Is the 50A fuse# 15 the only fuse? Or there are more fuses in this circuit?
  • The 2 relays are supposedly identical, what will swapping them reveal?
  • Connectors get flakey - are there 3 (2 relay connectors + wiring harness power connection)? Reseating them may fix contact issue?
  • Are there any other components in the cooling fan circuit I've missed?
  • If fuses, relays, connectors are OK, then the fan motor must be bad?
Troubleshooting suggestions greatly appreciated. Best, Denny Ervin

Last edited by den458; 27 Apr 2018 at 10:08 pm. Reason: error
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT turbo - cooling fan not running

Most likely the low speed brushes are worn out. Best to simply get a new fan. You can run a switch to the passenger compartment to run the high speed fan but unless you know your wiring, you need to use a switch to handle 15 Amps. If you understand electrical wiring, I can forward you a wiring diagram to activate the relay with less than 100 mA to get you by until you get a new fan.

You can also make the high speed fan to run full time by simply turning the A/C on. At least with my 09 NA, if I push the A/C switch with the fan set to any setting above "off", the A/C and high speed fan run all the time.

Swapping the relays will tell you whether it's the relay or the fan (most likely the fan). The connector to the fan assembly should look like this:

There is also a 3 pin connector on the OEM and most aftermarket fans that run (+12V to high speed/ground/+12V to low speed). My 3 pin connector went bad and I had to cut the connectors off and solder the wires directly. No problems since.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 27 Apr 2018 at 10:08 pm.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest with the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C, and see if the radiator fan comes on immediately. If it does not come on disconnect the radiator fan plug connector and apply 12 volts to the radiator fan to see if it runs.

Please do not drive the Pt Cruiser until you get the radiator fan going again.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Most likely the low speed brushes are worn out. Best to simply get a new fan. You can run a switch to the passenger compartment to run the high speed fan but unless you know your wiring, you need to use a switch to handle 15 Amps. If you understand electrical wiring, I can forward you a wiring diagram to activate the relay with less than 100 mA to get you by until you get a new fan.

You can also make the high speed fan to run full time by simply turning the A/C on. At least with my 09 NA, if I push the A/C switch with the fan set to any setting above "off", the A/C and high speed fan run all the time.

Swapping the relays will tell you whether it's the relay or the fan (most likely the fan). The connector to the fan assembly should look like this:

There is also a 3 pin connector on the OEM and most aftermarket fans that run (+12V to high speed/ground/+12V to low speed). My 3 pin connector went bad and I had to cut the connectors off and solder the wires directly. No problems since.
Before you order the radiator fan verify you have a grey four pin connector plug for the second generation Pt Cruisers.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for that advice. With engine running, I did press the A/C pushbutton switch & the A/C lamp illuminated, hoping to activate the fan, but it did not turn on. Should that work absolutely, or does it depend on some A/C-related pressure sensor somewhere? I didn't really feel cold air from the vents, my refrigerant may be low, so will that affect the fan behavior, potentially needing an A/C system recharge?
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by den458 View Post
Thanks for that advice. With engine running, I did press the A/C pushbutton switch & the A/C lamp illuminated, hoping to activate the fan, but it did not turn on. Should that work absolutely, or does it depend on some A/C-related pressure sensor somewhere? I didn't really feel cold air from the vents, my refrigerant may be low, so will that affect the fan behavior, potentially needing an A/C system recharge?
The radiator fan has to be working for the A/C to work properly.

Was the engine cold when you tried it?
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just now tried it, cold start, then dash-fan full on, then turn A/C on (press button, lamp illuminated), no fan start-up. Should engine temp ALSO be a fan-ON factor? Or having the A/C switch on should turn fan on for sure? I'm excited for the assistance so far !
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Also check the ground behind the air cleaner.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'll check the ground visually tomorrow, I know that can be a problem, it's a chilly 39 degrees right now.

Can someone confirm my preliminary impression that the fan for the 2006 PT w/turbo is a more complex one that includes the 2 relays? The non-turbo version doesn't have those 2 relays?
Old 27 Apr 2018, 11:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When the radiator fan quits working 90 percent of the time the brushes are bad in the radiator fan. On my Pt Cruisers I automatically just replace the radiator fan when I get the engine trouble code for it.

Tags
2006, cooling fan, overheating