Did i kill my baby? Crank but no start on 2004 N/a touring edition after stall

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By chuzz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2018, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Did i kill my baby? Crank but no start on 2004 N/a touring edition after stall

Hey Folks!

Im Jose, Im new here, i love podcasts and although j appreciate vehicles, i suck at taking care of them sometimes.

Problem:
- my 2004 pt cruiser touring 2.4 na had an oil light that would ping on occasion, i was broke so i ignored it.
- driving out of mcdonalds parking lot (again cause im poor) , my baby decides to shut off and hasnt started since.

Did i kill my baby?

She cranks but doesnt start

New battery

Any feedback is appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 29 Apr 2018, 08:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Did i kill my baby? Crank but no start on 2004 N/a touring edition after stall

If the engine light is on what is the codes being triggered?

When you have time please introduce yourself to the forum on the Welcome thread.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 08:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Did i kill my baby? Crank but no start on 2004 N/a touring edition after stall

Welcome to the forum from East Texas.

How many miles? Could be the timing belt.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 30 Apr 2018, 07:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Without knowing the mileage or history of the car, I'm agreeing with VsandFords and THINKING timing belt. Since you're poor (like me) you AREN'T going to like the price of getting it replaced somewhere. Hopefully you have a friend who's mechanically inclined.
VsandFords and dsab like this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 03:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Timing belt...happened to me too...
Old 30 Apr 2018, 09:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

The easiest way to find out if the timing belt broke is to remove the inspection plug from the top timing belt cover. You'll see the cam gears. Have someone crank the engine. If the belts broke the cams won't move.

If you can't do the work yourself the average cost to have a shop do the work will be somewhere in the area of $1000.00
Old 01 May 2018, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

$1,000 would be a great price if you find it that cheap. I know a guy in town here that had his done last year (02 model) and he paid $1,500.

Old 01 May 2018, 07:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Also check your oil level using the dipstick.

Never ignore an oil light. Although an intermittent PT oil light can be a false alarm, if it is indicating trouble it can be serious trouble. No oil in the engine will weld the cylinders to the piston walls (called "freezing the engine") which translates to a lost engine. Since you can hear the engine turning when you crank it, it's not frozen but be sure you have sufficient oil.

Good luck
IamJoseGuzman likes this.
Old 01 May 2018, 03:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah, guys, my mechanic is not pleased with the situation and wants me to get a new car lol!.

the timing belt is not broken so it must be something else.
This guy is a wizard. I trust that they will find the issue. they charged pretty cheap last time but that's cuz we "Family". hopefully its something < $500 if not somebody is selling a lifted navy jeep up the street!!! which means ill finally have space for a SUB! #MOOORBASSS

the anticipation is killing me, thanks for all your support. you guys are really helping me mourn my baby.

in the event, its trashed, lemme know if anyone is interested in a fairly mint black cloth interior or OEM wheels. ill post pictures!
Old 02 May 2018, 07:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Like Steve said in post #2. If you ask your mechanic for the diagnostic codes (which is the first thing he should have checked), post them here and you'll likely find some resolutions. If not, put it up for sale. I don't have any money and would never buy a Northern vehicle, but someone might want it.
IamJoseGuzman likes this.