Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Just another A/C Question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jun 2018, 02:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Just another A/C Question!

I know, everyone has their own unique A/C problem, so I thought I would run this one out to everyone. Have an 07 base sedan w/75k miles. Went to put on A/C, and warm air. Had an old gauge from a can of 'AC Pro' and it was dead in the center of the RED. Then the car went into convulsions with rpms from 500 to 1000 and then a thump with blueish smoke. Thought it best to turn off the A/C at that point, and start a post with you guys. Any ideas??? I can't check it right now, but could I have broken a belt? Car seams to run fine with NO A/C, so it's a 'hot time in the old town tonight'.
Old 03 Jun 2018, 09:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Just another A/C Question!

If you broke the belt to the A/C compressor, you won't have power steering either.

Either the pump bearing has seized or maybe your radiator fan has stopped working and the temperature of the A/C system is too high. Does the A/C work at highway speeds? When driving at highway speeds, there is enough airflow through the engine compartment that the radiator fan is not needed.

The radiator fan brushes and connectors are one of the first things to check.

Start the engine, turn on the A/C and look under the hood. The radiator fan should be blowing at high speed.
Old 03 Jun 2018, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Just another A/C Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
If you broke the belt to the A/C compressor, you won't have power steering either.

Either the pump bearing has seized or maybe your radiator fan has stopped working and the temperature of the A/C system is too high. Does the A/C work at highway speeds? When driving at highway speeds, there is enough airflow through the engine compartment that the radiator fan is not needed.

The radiator fan brushes and connectors are one of the first things to check.

Start the engine, turn on the A/C and look under the hood. The radiator fan should be blowing at high speed.
Make sure you do this with the engine cold.