• 1 Post By rambojoe
  • 2 Post By dsab
  • 1 Post By Fk5
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jun 2018, 02:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2006 PT non-turbo 89K code P0303 help please

2nd owner of a 2006 PT non-turbo with 89K miles. Initially ran great, later threw a code & went into limp-mode that was fixed with a cam position sensor. Ran great again for another year, recently began to stumble, like a misfire (momentary fuel-starvation?) when downshifting to maintain speed uphill. Idle seems smooth, seems fine on flat cruising at 55mph. Sometimes the CEL would self-clear, finally stayed on, a P0303, for a cyl#3 misfire. Have read on this forum from experts that plugs & plug wires are the most common cause for misfires. Plan to throw the most prudent no-brainer parts at it like plugs (best to use use 0.040" gapped OEM Champion RE16MC copper), good plug wires, & add a can of the Chevron Techron or Seafoam in the fuel tank. Will check the air cleaner & try to look at the vacuum lines, & loose hose or loose electrical connections.

Is there a better initial plan (or something else for sure to do) than visual inspection, plugs, wires, & injector cleaner? And problem remaining, the next step would be to replace the #3 injector? As a troubleshooting aid I do have an OBD2 bluetooth dongle that will stream various parameter live data to my phone or tablet, show & clear error codes. I own 2-2006 PTs, turbo & non, think this forum invaluable. All feedback greatly appreciated.
Old 04 Jun 2018, 04:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT non-turbo 89K code P0303 help please

You don't need to run coppers. You can use Platinums. Ehitch last longer. I prefer 42 gap. Also us Berrymans gas treatment. Has cleaners the Seafoam doesn't have. And is very affordable.
den458 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 04 Jun 2018, 04:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

For the quick and dirty, you can just swap the #2 and # 3 wires and see if the code follows the wire (P0302) or not. You can do the same for the plugs, but since you probably have to take them plenum off, might as well put new plugs. You can swap injectors too, but I would put new o-rings everywhere regardless.

Other potential causes we have seen are intake gaskets blown out (often #4 of aluminum intake on early turbo cars), cracked terminal on the coil, and low compression on a cylinder .

Do your tests one step at a time, so you know which was the problem.
rambojoe and den458 like this.

Last edited by Fk5; 04 Jun 2018 at 05:51 pm.
Old 04 Jun 2018, 05:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

I second fk5- comp check! a neighbors 06 had stuck rings, had to be. somehow- SOMEHOW by the grace of a higher being (lee iacoca) soaking it in wd40 while in my care the comp shot up after 4 days of soaking..
den458 likes this.
Old 04 Jun 2018, 07:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
You don't need to run coppers. You can use Platinums. Ehitch last longer. I prefer 42 gap. Also us Berrymans gas treatment. Has cleaners the Seafoam doesn't have. And is very affordable.
I assumed Champion copper was the OEM solution as one of you in another post was adamant that the non-turbo engine ran best on the OEM Champion plugs. He stated the engine seemed tuned to a spark duration found on that particular plug. I'll happily select the platinum for another $0.60 each, I was just trying to nail the "ideal" plug recipe. Heading to Autozone now, thanks. Guess I'll do the plug wires while I'm in there, too.
Old 04 Jun 2018, 08:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

If you replace the injector I'd recommend replace all of them at the same time.
Danny7627 and den458 like this.
Old 05 Jun 2018, 08:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by den458 View Post
I assumed Champion copper was the OEM solution as one of you in another post was adamant that the non-turbo engine ran best on the OEM Champion plugs. He stated the engine seemed tuned to a spark duration found on that particular plug. I'll happily select the platinum for another $0.60 each, I was just trying to nail the "ideal" plug recipe. Heading to Autozone now, thanks. Guess I'll do the plug wires while I'm in there, too.
For the most part, none of the plugs will make it run better. That goes for electrode covering, dual electrode, etc. They are mostly all the same. Where the platinum comes in is durability. They last longer. That can be very important in some cars that require a contortionist and engine removal to change plugs. It is up to you to determine how onerous you think it is to change yours.
den458 likes this.

Last edited by Fk5; 05 Jun 2018 at 10:05 am.
Old 05 Jun 2018, 10:24 am
Fanatic Cruiser

There is the possibility of oil leaking from the spark plug tube gaskets that could cause misfires. If you remove the spark plugs and see this, then the tube seals need to be changed. Notice clean on the inside and oily on the outside only:

This isn't from my PT, it's from my Outback which needed a new valve cover gasket and tube seals a couple of years ago. I ran into this problem with the PT a couple of weeks ago too and replaced the VGG and tube seals. Once you get the intake manifold off to replace the spark plugs, you're already 90% there to remove the valve cover and replace the gasket and tube seals.

While copper plugs may give you the best performance, they only last a year or two with about a 0.06"-0.07" gap on my worn plugs. I changed the plugs in April of 2016 and they were pretty much gone 2 years later. Platinum or Iridium plugs may not give you tip top performance, but they will last many more years between changes.
den458 likes this.