Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 pt cruiser no spark cylinder 2 and 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2018, 07:14 pm
Young Cruiser

Angry 02 pt cruiser no spark cylinder 2 and 3

I was cruising in my cruiser the other day when all of the sudden it lost power. I managed to nurse it home at slowly. I proceeded to check the spark at the coil and found that cylinder 2 and 3 had no spark. I understand they are one coil. I then checked the signal on both sides of the coil and found there was no signal on the side of the coil that was not firing. This is where I get a little lost. I check the cam sensor while on the vehicle by back probing. This is what I found. when I turn the crank by hand I go start with 5 volts I then turn it 1/2 turn and it drops to .05volts a further 1/2 turn back to 5 volts and a further 1/2 turn back down to .05volts. I'm not sure how often I should be seeing the voltage drop I would have thought 4 times in 2 complete revolutions. I am considering changing cam sensor any thoughts appreciated.
Old 11 Jun 2018, 08:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 pt cruiser no spark cylinder 2 and 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2418 View Post
I was cruising in my cruiser the other day when all of the sudden it lost power. I managed to nurse it home at slowly. I proceeded to check the spark at the coil and found that cylinder 2 and 3 had no spark. I understand they are one coil. I then checked the signal on both sides of the coil and found there was no signal on the side of the coil that was not firing. This is where I get a little lost. I check the cam sensor while on the vehicle by back probing. This is what I found. when I turn the crank by hand I go start with 5 volts I then turn it 1/2 turn and it drops to .05volts a further 1/2 turn back to 5 volts and a further 1/2 turn back down to .05volts. I'm not sure how often I should be seeing the voltage drop I would have thought 4 times in 2 complete revolutions. I am considering changing cam sensor any thoughts appreciated.
Check to see if you are getting a code P23XX. Post all diagnostic trouble codes you are getting.

Check the coil connector pins to make sure one of them as not been pushed in. This has happened to other members.

Do you have oil getting into the area around your spark plugs? This can eventually put stress on the coil and burn it out with the arcing.

Its possible the coil driver in the PCM has failed not grounding but we need to do a full diagnosis before looking at the PCM. Sometimes the coil goes out and takes out the driver in the PCM.

Make sure the wiring harness has not dropped down under the engine touching the frame or axle shorting out the wires. This is common on he 2001 & 2002 Pt Cruisers.

Post what you find out and we can help you diagnosis it further. Do not replace any parts until everything has been diagnosed. Post the diagnostic trouble codes and we can take it from there.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 11 Jun 2018 at 09:42 pm.
Old 12 Jun 2018, 10:18 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Check to see if you are getting a code P23XX. Post all diagnostic trouble codes you are getting.

Check the coil connector pins to make sure one of them as not been pushed in. This has happened to other members.

Do you have oil getting into the area around your spark plugs? This can eventually put stress on the coil and burn it out with the arcing.

Its possible the coil driver in the PCM has failed not grounding but we need to do a full diagnosis before looking at the PCM. Sometimes the coil goes out and takes out the driver in the PCM.

Make sure the wiring harness has not dropped down under the engine touching the frame or axle shorting out the wires. This is common on he 2001 & 2002 Pt Cruisers.

Post what you find out and we can help you diagnosis it further. Do not replace any parts until everything has been diagnosed. Post the diagnostic trouble codes and we can take it from there.
What I for got to post the first time is I replaced the coil and no change. The codes found are as follows. p0300, p0302, p0303, p0420, p0452, p0455. I again checked the drive at the coil with a test light. On the side that is firing it flashes on and off consistently on the side that is not firing the light stays on faintly continuously. No wires touching under the car.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:45 am
Young Cruiser

Smile Re: 02 pt cruiser no spark cylinder 2 and 3

Just an update. I changed out the cam sensor and at first it didn't run well. I drove it for about 5km and it seems the cam was relearned and is running fine at the moment. I hope it was not just a fluke and it is an intermittent electrical issue. will update further when drive a bit more.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you resetting the dtc's with a scan tool?
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:33 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Are you resetting the dtc's with a scan tool?
yes I have software that is on my laptop with an ELM 327 usb connector. I can see codes reset codes and get freeze frame data with it.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Unhappy Re: 02 pt cruiser no spark cylinder 2 and 3

So I drove the car about 20 miles and the issue came back. It now seems to be intermittent. I am thinking PCM but would appreciate some further diagnostic steps.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 07:42 pm
Young Cruiser

help I don't know where to go next. This is my wifes only car and I want to get it running for her again.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What codes came up this time?
Old 18 Jun 2018, 02:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2418 View Post
What I for got to post the first time is I replaced the coil and no change. The codes found are as follows. p0300, p0302, p0303, p0420, p0452, p0455. I again checked the drive at the coil with a test light. On the side that is firing it flashes on and off consistently on the side that is not firing the light stays on faintly continuously. No wires touching under the car.
The side that flashes on and off is correct. The side that stays on faintly is the problem. That wire is possibly grounded out. It goes back to the computer. Check the wire carefully. It could be grounded [melted] inside the harness, too.