Best bplace to buy a PCM from...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 1911ly
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By 1911ly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2018, 11:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Question Best bplace to buy a PCM from...

Hello all

I have a 2004 Limited Edition Turbo 96k miles. I have been having issues off and on for a long time. It throws a ton of error codes when it wants to. They use to be limited to O2 sensors. Both sensors show high and low voltage issues, and an occasional cylinder miss fire. It would go in to limp mode once in a while.

I could reset the PCM and all would be fine. It seemed to do it only in hot (90 degree or more) weather. When the weather is cooler it is fine.

It stopped messing up a few years ago. I figured the PCM has crappy solder connections. I have been tempted to take it apart (I repair electronics way more complicated then this PCM) But I know it is potted. I have dug threw that stuff before but I really don't want to mess with it right now. I am having issues with my back and not in a tinkering mood.

It died again about a week ago when it was hot out side and I reset the computer and it was fine until tonight. I reset it and it some times will start, run like crap (pimp mode and throws more errors) then I can clean the errors and it won't start. Reset then runs a bit etc. Grrr

I am going to check body to engine grounds and the voltage for the fuel injectors etc tomorrow just for peace of mind. But I am pretty sure the PCM is the issue.

And it is not a over heating coolant issue. The temp stays in the middle of the gauge as it normally does when warm.

So, from you guys experience who is the most reliable PCM rebuilder that I can buy and have program it for me? I don't trust a junk yard PCM. Plus it seems to be hard to find someone that thinks it actually has a turbo .

I would even consider buying a performance PCM.

I have issues with getting the right parts all the time. It took 2 tries to get the right radiator and brake parts. I have been told more then once that they never made a Limited with a turbo. But they did.

I would rather buy once and cry once. Any info would be great. I love this car and want to keep it going.

Thanks

Larry
Old 13 Jun 2018, 02:09 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Best bplace to buy a PCM from...

I disconnected the battery for an hour and hooked it back up. I put about 70 miles on it this afternoon without a hiccup. FWIW I checked the grounds, battery voltage and alternator out put and it's fine. I was hoping it would mess up today.

I still think it is the PCM overheating and or bad solder connections in the unit.

I was hoping for a few good leads on where to buy a rebuild one. I will roll the dice and take my chances.

Thanks anyways.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 06:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If you still need another PCM, forum member Myckee has a business selling these. He can take good used or new units and program them for your specific PT. Plus, he's the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to this stuff. He posts here regularly and you can reach him by PM too.
1911ly likes this.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 04:10 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
If you still need another PCM, forum member Myckee has a business selling these. He can take good used or new units and program them for your specific PT. Plus, he's the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to this stuff. He posts here regularly and you can reach him by PM too.
Thank you! I will contact him.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:31 pm
Young Cruiser

PCM ordered!! Myckee hooked me up! You rock! And so does Handy_Cruiser.

Thanks