PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser transponder chip key. How does it work?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2018, 11:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser transponder chip key. How does it work?

This morning I took some photos of SOOO BIG's key set and pose a question; In layman's terms, how does the PT Cruiser Transponder chip key work?

In the first photo I show the Transponder Chip key I use in SOOO BIG's ignition. I know it has chip with a circuit embedded in the plastic of the key but I don't know how that works. In that same photo you'll see a back up key that I carry in my wallet for the times I forget and leave the key in the ignition. If I lock my self out I use it to open the driver's door.

Both keys will open the driver's door lock. Photo (2)

Both keys will open the glove box. (no photo, just believe me on this)

Both keys will fit in the ignition switch. Photos (3) and (4)

This morning I discovered both keys will start SOOO BIG's engine. But low and behold, even though that back up key will start SOOO BIG's engine, it idles for just a moment then shuts off. Photo (3) and (4)
Wonder of wonders. So again my question is HOW DOES THE TRANSPONDER CHIP KEY WORK?

As an aside, this delving into SOOO BIG's key and ignition brought back a memory of yester year and how I started up my old 41 Ford Coupe, "The Street Cleaner". Photo (5) This was the starting sequence;

(1)with right hand, insert key in lock, (2) turn key clockwise to slide steering column lock bolt to open. (3)This turn also released the ignition toggle allowing me to thumb up the ignition toggle above the lock and activate the ignition (4)with my left hand I'd then press the start button on the left of the dash to bring the engine to life. All mechanical back then. And I understood how it all worked. Conversely, as I remember, the key could be removed after the clock wise twist and I could drive for weeks without ever even reaching in my pocket for a key. Of course, those were the days of an America with unlocked front doors and a trust of your fellow American not to steal your car.

So I asked those PTers more learned than I in the realm of electronics, How does the PT Cruiser Transponder chip key work? I realize this is a generalization, but with that key, SOOO BIG seems to know it's me and allows the engine to continue to run? Can this be explained in layman's terms?
Happy PTin', ptprice

chip key, remote, spare key
IMG_key1.jpg
spare key opening driver's door
IMG_key2.jpg
spare key starts SOOO BIG. Not for long
IMG_key3.jpg
chip key starts SOOO BIG and he keeps on runnin'
IMG_key4.jpg
The "Street Cleaner"
PD_key6.jpg

That experiment with the filled in center grill didn't work. It looked nice enough but not enough air got to the radiator and thus the name "Street Cleaner " came about, as it would spew water all over the asphalt from the poor overheated flat head V8. I finally blew that flat head engine and replaced it with a more powerful Chevy overhead valve V8.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 14 Jun 2018 at 03:14 pm.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 12:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser transponder chip key. How does it work?

see here:
2001 key transponder bypass
ptprice likes this.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 03:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post
Thanks Rob. My thread question was "How does the PT Cruiser Transponder chip ignition key work?"

SOOO BIG's Transponder Chip key works perfectly, I don't need to by pass it or modify the system in any way. I just wanted to know how it works.

My thread reflects I just was curious enough, when I discovered my Ace Hardware emergency key, (that I carry in my wallet for nothing else but getting me in the car if I lock my keys inside), will start the engine up...But immediately after engine start up with that emergency key, it appears SOOO BIG's technology recognized it wasn't the original Transponder Chip key and shuts the engine down. "How does SOOO BIG know the difference in keys?"

(Us old geezers have a tendency to lock their keys in their car once in a while and reminisce about old Fords.)
Thanks anyway, Happy PTin', ptprice
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P250/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 03:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Basically the Chip has a code, if the Transponder dosen't detect the right code..it shuts down the engine.
ptprice likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 14 Jun 2018, 03:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Works same way anti theft devices at Walmart ,Home Depot when you take a item that has not been deactivated.
Inside covering is a small tape with a certain shape that when the radio freckincy is sent to it it compleats a wireless cirect thus telling the receiver that the key is the one that has been entered in the receiver
ptprice likes this.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 04:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Basically the Chip has a code, if the Transponder doesn't detect the right code.....it shuts down the engine.
I'm beginning to understand this?

Do I have it right? The key itself is just called a CHIP KEY. Embedded in SOOO BIG's on board electronics is the TRANSPONDER . That TRANSPONDER is dedicated to reading the code in the key chip and, recognizing the proper code, allowing the engine to continue to run. Does it involve a shut down command or a continue to run command to the engine?

I looked up the definition of Transponder on the internet and got this;
Transponder-a wireless communication device, monitoring, or control device that picks up and automatically responds to an incoming signal. The term is a contraction of the words transmitter and responder. Transponders can be passive or active.

I'm just an old geezer trying to figure this out. Thanks for the input. I'm guessing SOOO BIG's transponder that we're speaking of is powered by the onboard battery? How does it "read the chip?" Is this "chip" a specific proprietary code just for SOOO BIG that the transponder recognizes? Is it anything like a "chip" for security on a newer credit card when you slide it into a scanner?
Now I'm curious enough to want to know what electronic magic "reads the chip?" Is there a scanner in the steering column?

I know there are batteries in the remote that works the doors and panic button. Those batteries need to be replaced periodically but apparently the chip key is powered by the transponder. So back to my question. How does it work?

Thanks, I know once I understand it, it'll make just as much sense to me as the simple ignition on that old 41 Ford, "The Street Cleaner." Happy PTin', ptprice

Last edited by ptprice; 15 Jun 2018 at 02:35 pm. Reason: quantifgication
Old 14 Jun 2018, 06:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Reader for key is right buy the egnition switch
I have wired the key with the chip in it just above the switch under the steering colum cover so can use a non chipped key
ptprice likes this.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 08:24 pm
Young Cruiser

It's basically a RF is tag like they use on expensive items at store's.

The ignition switch has a coil of wire that raps around it. It couples electricity to the fob to power it. When the fob powers up it sends data threw the same field.

When I use to install alarms (before it was easier to bypass or interface with the transponders) I would have the customer have a regular key made, take the column a apart and tape a factory key next to the transponder. That way it saw the fob when it needed to. You could use a normal key then.
ptprice likes this.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 01:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

Inside the Key is a transponder chip that is inactive and doesn't produce any signal. When the key is turned and the vehicle is cranking, the SKIMM (the black ring around the key hole in the column) activates and shoots electromagnetic waves at the key, this powers the transponder chip which then produces a signal the SKIMM reads. That code is then compared to the code kept in the SKIMM, the PCM, and the receiver for the remote entry. IF the code matches in all locations then the vehicle continues to run. IF the code does not match in all locations then the SKIMM sends a kill command to the PCM to shut the vehicle off.
They cut on the Key is not important to the chip, they are completely separate. The key cut just allows the lock cylinder to rotate to the spot where the car starts.
Some vehicles do this similar process before the vehicle starts and prevent startup until the key is recognized, others kill the vehicle after it starts, often seen as a start then die symptom.
ptprice and pt06 like this.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 15 Jun 2018, 02:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

I found this internet Wikipedia information related to the PT Cruiser chip key, transponders and how it works.
Thanks for the input. According to the article, the micro circuit inside the key (I guess that's the chip) is activated by a small electromagnetic field which induces current flow inside the key body, which in turn, broadcasts a unique binary code which is read by the PT Cruiser's ECU or electronic control unit. (Where would the word transponder come in this definition?)
It was invented by St George Evans and Edward Birkenbuel and patented in 1919. Referred to as the electric immobilizer/alarm system.
Below is a copy of a short Wikipedia article on it.
Happy PTin', ptprice

IMG_key9.jpg
1911ly likes this.