Néed quick help on transmission filter

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Grasshopper77
  • 3 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2018, 06:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Néed quick help on transmission filter

So I buttoned everything up, but now I'm doubting myself...is the filter supposed to wobble alittle after install? I know I seated to 2 pins, and I could swear I made Sure the filter port was pushe'd in all the way, but the wobble of the filter, just before I buttoneed up the pan has me second guessing myself. Bottom line, I just need to know if the filter is supposed to wobble, like rattle when tapped with your finger. Thanks for any help!
Old 16 Jun 2018, 07:21 pm
Banned

Default Re: Néed quick help on transmission filter

What brand of filter did you use?

I believe there have been some posts, on this forum, about some after-market transmission filters not fitting as tightly and may actually unseat themselves after placed into position and the vehicle has been driven for a while.

Here is one post I found: Changing Transmission Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
I agree with NitroPT. Fluid flush is just a way to get more money out of your pocket. Just drop the pan and filter and do the change yourself. I get the Walmart brand ATF+4 and my filter and gasket from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Change every 50,000 miles and you should be fine. The reason for the O'Reilly gasket and filter is because I've read others say with the ones they got from Autozone or Advance, that the filters didn't snap in correctly and fell out of the throttle body, causing the trans not to shift. It's a messy job and not one I enjoy, let alone doing it twice in a row because of a defective filter. If you let the trans drain for about an hour or so, you should get around 4 quarts out of it. That's how much I drain and replace.

Last edited by rckstein; 16 Jun 2018 at 07:34 pm.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 07:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's a mopar filter. Pins are locked good, just seem to Rember it moving when tapping on the back end.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 08:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

greasing the o-ring helps a few things, along with fully seat the filter and such. I've seen so many dang filters lately so I cant remember, doesn't this one have a torx screw that supports it? Tapping? tapping what?
Old 16 Jun 2018, 10:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I went ahead and dropped the pan again. No fastness secure the filter. Its just 2 plastic pushpins and a friction seal oring. All was good, but better safe than sorry. Actually pretty surprised how quickly that mopar sealant cures and grabs hold.
Old 16 Jun 2018, 11:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Having change at least a bakers dozen PT trans pan... the filter should be firm fitting.
If the filter does drop it is not the end of the world. You most likely noticed that there was nothing at the bottom of the pan or in the filter as far as any metal partial anyway. If there had been reading how you talk about things your would have mentioned it.

Personally if you are going to keep your PT and do routine Transmission service, next time buy an aftermarket pan with a drain plug, remove the filter and install a inline transmission filter. They are better at filtering anyway.

And if you are thinking about doing a full flush at some point before you do spend the money and get your oil analysed before doing an expensive transmission flushing that may not be needed.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 17 Jun 2018, 04:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

IIRC, there are dimples on the trans pan that should contact the filter and help hold it in position.

Otherwise, the filter should snap rather firmly into position. Make sure the o-ring is properly seated. Have had them wrinkle and pinch. Put a little ATF on the o-ring to lubricate it so that it slides into position without pinching.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 08:37 am
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the posts. I did install the Dorman pan as suggested. Glad I did, made easy work of draining the fluid back into the jug and reuse, when i dropped the pan to double check the filter. For what ever reason, I was thinking the end opposite of the oring had more play than it actually did. The oring port was firm, and the opposite end rattles alittle when you tap the filter with your finger, but the pins where seated. All was well on the test drive and no leaks so far.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 17 Jun 2018, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

That's not an issue. Depending on the brand of filter you use on the 41/40TE transmissions, they may seem a little loose. But the pan will normally hold them securely in place.