Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Excessive oil in spark plug cavity.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2018, 06:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Excessive oil in spark plug cavity.

Our '04 (w/126k miles) has been acting a little erratic at low speeds lately (especially at red lights etc.). It's ready for some new wires, and the plugs have around 25K on them. I pulled the first plug earlier today, and the cavity had nearly an inch of oil in it. The electrode end of the plug also had some oil on it.

So, where is this oil coming from? Head gasket leak?
Old 28 Jun 2018, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Excessive oil in spark plug cavity.

It's coming from the leaking rubber o-rings on the valve cover. New ones come in the box with the valve cover gasket. The oil leaks from the o-rings and sits on top of the spark plug until the plug is removed, then it drips down onto the electrode when you pull the plug out. Replace the valve cover gasket including the o-rings and you will be find.

Rumble and pt06 like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Jun 2018 at 06:13 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 06:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Wow, that was quick HC, thanks! Well, it looks like I'll be doing more than plugs/wires. What's the PITA level of removing the valve cover assembly?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's not bad at all. The worst part is removing the two bolts on the support bracket behind the intake. The good part is that the rubber intake gaskets are usually reusable on the plastic PT intakes. The valve cover itself is pretty easy.

If you need a copy of the service manual for your PT, you can download it from my Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Jun 2018 at 06:31 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 08:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the download/link to the manual Handy, just what I needed. I just finished doing a complete rebuild of the A/C on my '92 Chevy pickup yesterday. Thought I was going to be able to take a breather from any more mechanical work for a while, lol. I already started undoing some of the PT wiring harness connectors tonight. Hopefully I can have the car finished by Monday.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 11:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

When you're replacing the valve cover replace the grommets around the retaining bolts. If the valve cover set doesn't come with the grommets you can buy them separately.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 07:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
It's coming from the leaking rubber o-rings on the valve cover. New ones come in the box with the valve cover gasket. The oil leaks from the o-rings and sits on top of the spark plug until the plug is removed, then it drips down onto the electrode when you pull the plug out. Replace the valve cover gasket including the o-rings and you will be find.

hey handy, do you shop at Costco? turns out, the Kirkland paper towels apart from being cheaper than shop blue towels, they have way less debris that comes of on critical parts... blue towels used to be way better! shake one out in sunlight ,you'll see. the Kirkland ones are very clean. of course a little bit of fiber never killed a engine, as ive disassembled some of my engines to find Rottweiller and Siamese cat hair... :/
Old 29 Jun 2018, 08:45 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsab View Post
When you're replacing the valve cover replace the grommets around the retaining bolts. If the valve cover set doesn't come with the grommets you can buy them separately.
Will do, thanks. According to Handy's pic above, it looks like I may need some extra gasket sealant too, right?
Old 29 Jun 2018, 10:26 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Will do, thanks. According to Handy's pic above, it looks like I may need some extra gasket sealant too, right?
Yes, Handy's pics nicely show where the RTV is supposed to be placed. You'll also need to clean off the original RTV first. The only additional thing I did was to put a bead over the half moon thingy on the driver's side of the rear camshaft Sorry, I don't know what it's called.

Here's a picture of the old RTV as I removed the VCG.

I used Permatex black #22072 as the RTV. You are supposed to wait 24 hours for a full cure so a weekend is a good time to do it if you need the car otherwise.

A couple of notes:
  • Cover the intake ports so nothing falls down into your engine intake
  • Use a bungee cord to lift and keep the upper intake manifold out of the way. That way you don't need to mess with the throttle cable
  • Cover the positive terminal of the battery
  • Be very careful around the spark plug area, the edge is razor sharp and will easily slice your finger or thumb
  • Use the correct torque on the 5 front intake bolts. Too much torque will strip the brass insert from the lower intake cover.
dsab likes this.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 12:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for tips/advice rsr. I already disconnected the throttle linkage this morning, as I'm going to remove the intake so it's not dangling in my way.