Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 PT Cruiser A/C Nightmare

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2018, 05:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 PT Cruiser A/C Nightmare

I have a 2006 PT cruiser touring edition Vin B I recently purchased a ac replacement kit came with Seals, Compressor, Accumulator, and the Orifice line and I went ahead and purchased a new condenser. All parts matched OEM part #.

I am not a novice at replacing A/C systems I've done it a few times on other vehicles.

So i pulled everything off AC related reinstalled everything I thought it pretty much went off without a hitch until I was done vacuuming down my ac system and ready to add my freon So here I am 11:30PM all excited that I'm going to have my AC back and be Cruisin the streets again. I start to add the freon and low and behold after 45 to 55 minutes standing in front of my car looking like an idiot my Compressor just refuses to turn on in any way shape or form.

So at this point I turned to the internet I have at this point tested all of the following ideas I have found

Radiator Fan ( Does not turn on when I turn on the AC system but I have tested the fan itself its 100% I swapped the relays with no change)

replaced the LOW Pressure Switch no change

traced and tested several wires

theres more but at this point I have been working on said car for 12 hours through the entire nite and I am unable to recall them all but I have done several of the suggestions for the forums also.

I am now begging for any assistance anyone may be able to offer

I'm not shy either I Live in Indiana very close to Purdue University so if anyone in the area Please HELP I love and hate this car at this point.
Old 04 Jul 2018, 06:37 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT Cruiser A/C Nightmare

You probably already checked this, but the power plug to the compressor can be a PITA.
The little plastic piece brakes making it a little harder to attach firmly. Turn on the A/C & wiggle the wire/clip.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 04 Jul 2018, 07:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Checked that just picked up a new high pressure switch going to try that at this point. Itís the only part not new
Old 04 Jul 2018, 08:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Did you offer automotive sacrifice to Bryan Nesbitt, the god of the PT Cruiser?

It is said that when you light a Prius on fire, Bryan and the other automotive gods will smile down on you and your problems will go away.

That said, the power connector can be a bear sometimes. Good luck!
Old 04 Jul 2018, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have a history of why the A/C stopped working?

Do you have the TIPM in your Pt Cruiser?
Old 05 Jul 2018, 03:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it has a tipm c stopped working last year at the end of summer so i had the freon reclaimed and left it empty all winter decided this year before i rebuilt it i would refill the system and see if it was working and it was for about 2 weeks then nothing i bought everything new except the stupid high pressure switch. i picked one up yesterday but my body gave out before i could get it installed i passed out for about 10 hours I'll be putting it in today will follow up if it fixes it.
Old 24 Jul 2018, 11:16 am
Young Cruiser

My 02's a/c had not been working since purchase last September. Today I had a recharge done but the system refused to work, mechanic said it kept starting but cutting out again straight away, which he said he thought might be a pressure control switch fault but he was not sure which one it would be, high or low. They are not a/c experts just do the recharge, and don't charge if it does not work. The system is now vacuumed out, any advice where to start?
Old 25 Jul 2018, 02:51 am
Senior Cruiser

niggle; Did the radiator fan go on while the compressor was turning on and off?
Old 25 Jul 2018, 06:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't know anything about a/c. I'm just wondering if RedSkelton got his fixed with the high pressure switch.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 04 Aug 2018, 05:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
My 02's a/c had not been working since purchase last September. Today I had a recharge done but the system refused to work, mechanic said it kept starting but cutting out again straight away, which he said he thought might be a pressure control switch fault but he was not sure which one it would be, high or low. They are not a/c experts just do the recharge, and don't charge if it does not work. The system is now vacuumed out, any advice where to start?

Pull the plug off the low pressure switch (on top of the Receiver Drier) and stick a paper clip into the holes on the plug.
This tells the system you have full pressure, and with the car cold, when you hit the AC button, the fan should start (have somebody listen / watch for you) and the Compressor kick in shortly afterwards, with a slight difference in revs to take up the strain.

At this point, if all that happens, you should have AC.

If the fan doesn't start - probably the commonest problem - replace the fan (or the brushes, which is the usual problem problem with the fan)

If the fan starts the comp *should* follow. It it doesn't, it might just be a sticky clutch from non use. Give it a couple of "engineers taps", failing which check fuses (if you have them - cant remember what year yours is ) relays, connections, the usual fun.

Like me though, you may come up against the "why" your AC didn't work when you bought it. In my case it was a hose sheared off at the compressor, which means the compressor has been sitting open to the radiator and all that flew through it for a couple of years...

Tomorrow, having fixed that and a duff fan and various other nick nacks, I replace the receiver drier, then go and get it charged up on Monday... at which point........ I'll find out if the Compressor is a door stop