Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Touring - Radiator Fan P1489/P1490, confusing diagnostics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2018, 04:29 am
Regular Cruiser

Default 2001 Touring - Radiator Fan P1489/P1490, confusing diagnostics

Hopefully the hive mind is aware of simpler answers than the ones I seem to be faced with!

Okay, as you might have guessed my radiator fan isn't working. At least, not via the distro box. Voltage to the high and low speed terminals spin up the fan, plus I have continuity from the harness to the distro box on the two speed wires and good ground on the centre.

So we're that far upstream anyway. The 40A fuse (#5) in the distro and 10A fuse (#12) in the cabin fuse box check out. I've not done continuity from those sockets to the relay terminals yet or jumpered the relay coil/switch. The relays are both fine, I replaced them both and did checks on the old relays to confirm functionality.

This has been an issue for the last year which we've lived with. Basically, don't stop and you're good.

Until last week I've not had the P1489/P1490 low/high speed fan relay errors. I suspect I triggered them during my initial diagnostics, however I'll clear and report back on that. How exactly is the computer aware of an issue in order to trigger those? When and how does it check? I'm guessing that it senses an open circuit from a lack of current flow either through the relay coil (when supposedly energised) or flow through the switch itself?

I really hope this isn't a physical wiring issue with the distro box, loom or fuse box. Those are absolute ballaches to take on.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by Prostheta; 06 Jul 2018 at 04:36 am.
Old 08 Jul 2018, 02:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Touring - Radiator Fan P1489/P1490, confusing diagnostics

Did the codes come back after resetting with an OBDII Scan Tool?
Old 08 Jul 2018, 04:14 am
Regular Cruiser

It seems like it. My dongle is a crap one though, so it tends to kick me off and has to be rebooted whenever I try to clear codes. As usual, pulling the low speed relay turns the fan on, so at least we know that juice is flowing through fuse #5 in the distro box. I was suspecting a fault in the wiring to fuse #12, but that wouldn't explain how the high speed relay can turn the fan on at all. That might point to a problem with the low speed relay wiring, or maybe the low speed of the fan. My engineer said he tested the motor and it was fine, however I don't recall him saying he'd tested both speeds.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" - Søren Kierkegaard
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence" - Christopher Hitchens
Old 08 Jul 2018, 04:16 am
Regular Cruiser

I guess that my next job is sticking bits of wire into terminals covered with 40A fuses and hoping I don't reinvent the lightbulb...

Old 08 Jul 2018, 09:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest manually checking the radiator fan yourself. Sometimes if the radiator fan motor brushes are barely touching they will work sometimes and sometimes not work.
Old 08 Jul 2018, 03:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Will do. We're off to the cabin for four days first, so I'm just going to have to jump out and pull the low speed relay if we get stuck. Needs must.

I had some other fun today with a reversing light (picked up on yearly inspection) not lighting. Fuse (#6) is fine and read 10,46v in the socket with the key in the first position, fuse in and measuring in the two exposed bits of the body....nothing. Huh. I did get continuity measuring the fuse out of circuit which makes no sense at all. The upshot of this is that reality seems broken, as does the reverse light switch under my air cleaner. Maybe. At this rate it seems that my car is somewhat resistant to logic and wanting to make fault-finding simple.