Coolant hose routing for 2.4 turbo

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Imakenocents
  • 4 Post By Imakenocents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2018, 12:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Coolant hose routing for 2.4 turbo

Does anyone have a diagram for the rubber coolant hose routing for the 2.4 turbo engine in a 2004 Pt Cruiser GT? Before I purchased this GT someone routed the heater core inlet and outlet tubes to each other so no coolant is passing through the core. I disconnected the loop and ran some pressurized water through the core and it didn't show any signs of a leak with good flow. This car came from California so the heat probably was not used so I guess the owner bypassed the core to avoid a leak there. I want to put it back to the oem configuration but need to know the proper routing and it does have the engine oil cooler as well. Any help would be appreciated. Right now it runs in a complete coolant loop but obviously bypassing the core. What goes where to get it back to original? Thanks in advance.

Brian
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 06 Jul 2018, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant hose routing for 2.4 turbo

I don't know how much help this image will be, but here you go.

Old 06 Jul 2018, 12:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Handy, I did see that diagram, but I think I'm going to have to get a better look at my car because as it is right now the two open metal lines in the diagram you supplied on the rear of the engine have two coolant lines connected running down somewhere but not to the heater core. I thought maybe the oil cooler but this diagram shows otherwise. I am at work right now so I will have to check when I get home.

Brian
Old 07 Jul 2018, 10:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Finally got around to looking at this hose routing issue a bit closer and found when the previous owner ran the inlet and outlet together on the heater core they also ran the plumbing inlet and outlet together by the block. The other day when I checked it I just saw two rubber hoses leave those tubes and run straight down. It was hard to see due to other items impeding my view and I had to get to work so today I got under the car and found those hoses were actually just one long hose that went down, did a u turn and came back to the other pipe. Just like the heater core set up. I put all back like it should be and reconnected the heater core into the loop and all is good with plenty of heat now. All I can figure is this car being from southern California they must have decided to bypass the heater core to avoid any possible blockages or leakage knowing they wouldn't need the heat. My guess anyway. Well isn't that a fine howdy doo! I bought this car from the previous owner who was convinced it had a blown head gasket but after getting it home by transport when unloading it I noticed it had no miss, no smoke and steady idle. Cooling system however was loaded with engine oil. Fortunately for me it turned out to be a cracked oil cooler internally pumping oil into the cooling system. Actually quite the easy fix and much less expensive. Just lots of water and mean green degreaser flushes before clearing things up. Thanks for the help Handy and a big thanks to Busted PT for suggesting to check the oil cooler. Thought I was losin' but instead I'm cruisin'!
rckstein, Fk5, Cat22 and 1 others like this.