PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Charging problems.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2018, 02:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Battery Charging problems.

So the battery light came on and I've discovered my battery is not getting charged (after buying a new battery).

Now, before I got about replacing the alternator, I've read that I should do a voltage drop test on it first. Thing is, I can't for the life of me figure out how I can get my multimeter connected to the + terminal on the alternator. I have a 2005 turbo lite and the back of the alternator is packed in under a lot of stuff. And even if I did figure out that it's a wire problem, I have no idea how I would be able to removed the wires without removing the whole alternator.

Anyone have any tips on how to verify where my charging problem is without major disassembly?
Old 22 Jul 2018, 02:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Charging problems.

Connect the meter to the battery posts. With the car off it should read ~12.6 volts. Start the car and it should read ~14 volts. [13.5 to 14.5 volts]. Also check the fusible link on the large lug at the starter.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 04:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have done that, when the car is running I'm getting 11.98v on a brand new battery. The battery is not charging. The fusible link is fine, but before I start pulling the engine apart to get out the alternator I'd like to test the wire coming off the + post on it (as is suggested in many many articles on alternator problems). I just don't know how to get to the + post on it without pulling it out, it's so buried in the engine. I don't have a garage or driveway so I'll be doing this either in a borrowed space or in front of my storage unit, either way I'd like to verify it's not the wires before I go out and buy another alternator.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 05:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Keep in mind that the alternator field circuit must be working in order for current to be produced. I don't have a wiring diagram to help you.

The alternator comes out through the wheel well. The manual says to remove the axle shaft.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 12:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This diagram is for a 2003 Pt Cruiser.

2003 chargingsys diagram.jpg
Old 22 Jul 2018, 01:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebular View Post
I have done that, when the car is running I'm getting 11.98v on a brand new battery. The battery is not charging. The fusible link is fine, but before I start pulling the engine apart to get out the alternator I'd like to test the wire coming off the + post on it (as is suggested in many many articles on alternator problems). I just don't know how to get to the + post on it without pulling it out, it's so buried in the engine. I don't have a garage or driveway so I'll be doing this either in a borrowed space or in front of my storage unit, either way I'd like to verify it's not the wires before I go out and buy another alternator.
If you have a battery charger I would suggest charging the battery back up to fully charged. It should be 12.5 volts or higher.

Does the battery voltage go up if you rev the engine to 2500 rpm?
ptprice likes this.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 01:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt06 View Post
Keep in mind that the alternator field circuit must be working in order for current to be produced. I don't have a wiring diagram to help you.

The alternator comes out through the wheel well. The manual says to remove the axle shaft.
Yes, I know. I'm trying to see if there's a way to verify that the actual wire connected to the positive post on the alternator is still good without removing the whole thing. Since I don't have a garage or driveway I can't pull out the alternator and take it in to be tested. If I'm going to pull it out I'm going to replace it, but I don't want to spend the money on another alternator if the current one is fine and it's just the wire has gone bad.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 01:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
If you have a battery charger I would suggest charging the battery back up to fully charged. It should be 12.5 volts or higher.

Does the battery voltage go up if you rev the engine to 2500 rpm?
No it doesn't. It's not charging at all. I'm just trying to find an easy way to verify that it's really the alternator and not the wires that have gone bad.
Old 22 Jul 2018, 01:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebular View Post
Yes, I know. I'm trying to see if there's a way to verify that the actual wire connected to the positive post on the alternator is still good without removing the whole thing. Since I don't have a garage or driveway I can't pull out the alternator and take it in to be tested. If I'm going to pull it out I'm going to replace it, but I don't want to spend the money on another alternator if the current one is fine and it's just the wire has gone bad.
Don't forget to check the continuity of the field wire going to the generator(alternator).

Is your engine light on? If so can you post the codes?
Old 22 Jul 2018, 09:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

If you ground the dark green wire in Steve's diagram and it charges, you need a computer instead of an alternator. You can access it up top at the PCM. only mentioning it as it's kinda common and it's easier to reach.

Or..

There's two belts in the car. Is the alternator belt still on the car?