Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weak point in AC system?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2018, 12:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Weak point in AC system?

My AC will not hold refrigerant. Are there any common failure points I should check?
Old 15 Aug 2018, 07:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Weak point in AC system?

Check fan comes on when AC is switched on.

If it doesn't, bridge the low pressure switch thats on top of the receiver dryer

If the fan still doesnt come on, your fan is almost certainly fried and you can either replace it or repair it (search for how to's - there's plenty)

If the fan stopped working, and you didn't know, the system has probably over-pressured and dumped the gas to protect the compressor.

If the fan is working, start from the compressor and work backwards checking joints and pipes.

When the engine mounts are worn out the engine can move about and shear pipes, with the compressor being a vulnerable point because of it's position and the rigidity of the pipes leading to it
Old 15 Aug 2018, 09:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Check fan comes on when AC is switched on.

If it doesn't, bridge the low pressure switch thats on top of the receiver dryer

If the fan still doesnt come on, your fan is almost certainly fried and you can either replace it or repair it (search for how to's - there's plenty)

If the fan stopped working, and you didn't know, the system has probably over-pressured and dumped the gas to protect the compressor.

If the fan is working, start from the compressor and work backwards checking joints and pipes.

When the engine mounts are worn out the engine can move about and shear pipes, with the compressor being a vulnerable point because of it's position and the rigidity of the pipes leading to it

Thank you for the advice. Fan works.

The car sprayed refrigerant from the lower left side of the front.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 11:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

*probably* the pipe that goes into the compressor.

Mine sheared clean across above the bracket that bolts it to the comp. Cant believe it happened all in one go, so it probably started as a fracture which would let the gas out.
Wasn't bothered as I bought it with the AC not working and it was well down the list of stuff to do, but thats what I found when I finally got around to sorting the AC.

If you take the cover off the belts (jack up, wheel off, axle stands usual safety caveats yada yada) and take the fan out (not a long job - probably an hour to do both max) you will then be able to see the comp pretty much all round and get your hands down there and find out whats going on.

Having tried it the lazy mans way, I'd recommend you bite the bullet and pull the radiator out and have done with it. Check all pipes, replace all O rings, don't be tempted to pick at it. Most importantly, buy a new dryer reciever and fit it.

Then *pressurise* it using an airline / footpump to 30 or 40 PSI and see what you've got. You'll need to rig something up to do that but it's easy enough using a cheap AC hose adaptor (see Amazon, flea bay) and a couple of plumbing fittings.

Don't rely on a garage telling you that it vacuums down OK - it can seal on suck and leak like a stuck pig under pressure - so check it under pressure before you waste money on gassing it up.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you recently have the upper and lower torque struts replaced?
Old 15 Aug 2018, 01:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Did you recently have the upper and lower torque struts replaced?
If me, no. My bottom one is about ready for replacement though (diesel)