Paper clip trick on the AC high pressure switch

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sinbad
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2018, 06:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Paper clip trick on the AC high pressure switch

I've been having an issue with my 07 cruiser where the compressor won't run. Replacing LPS twice worked temporarily. But the new switch appears to be sending current across both pins & the paper clip jump on it doesn't do anything.

Was wondering if we can check the HPS by doing the paperclip trick?
Old 20 Aug 2018, 01:15 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Paper clip trick on the AC high pressure switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
I've been having an issue with my 07 cruiser where the compressor won't run. Replacing LPS twice worked temporarily. But the new switch appears to be sending current across both pins & the paper clip jump on it doesn't do anything.

Was wondering if we can check the HPS by doing the paperclip trick?
1) Does your fan run when the AC is switched on?

2) Does your fan run when the AC is switched on and you paper clip the LPS?

If yes to 1, your fan is fine. If no to 1, you need to mend / replace the fan before you go any further, the comp wont run without the fan.

If yes to 2, you have low pressure / no gas / a leak - or possibly a blockage - when was the last time you replaced the receiver/drier ? If never - start there. An 11 year old R/D will be worthless -that's if the desiccant bag hasn't split.
They're peanuts on Amazon / flea bay.

The HPS only acts AFTER the compressor runs and pressurises, so it's a red herring.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 07:50 am
Cool Cruiser

1. When I start the car cold, no fan. Then turn on AC & fan turns on.

2. I don't notice anything different when I paper clip the LPS cause the fan is already running.

When the compressor ran right after replacing the LPS the 1st time, the pressure was good. Can't really test now without the compressor running. I added dye then & dont see any leaks. Just not getting power at the compressor.

Not sure what else could be cutting the power at the compressor.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 04:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Sounds like the first step is you'll have to check that the compressor clutch is getting power when it should... which will be a nightmare unless you have hands like ET
Old 20 Aug 2018, 06:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

I know what you mean. It was so hard getting to the connector on top of the compressor. But I was able to get it off & checked the two wires, 1 was making a ground, but the other wasn't getting power. Just a dead wire when the ac was turned all the way up. LPS has power across the pins & is getting power from the connector. That's why I was thinking maybe the HPS. I dont think anything else will cut the power other than the PCIM & the car isn't worth as much as they cost to replace.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 07:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It does sound a base you have to cover - Go and pull one off a wreck and swap it out.? Nothing to lose - they're not renowned for failing (unlike the LPS)
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 11:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From an on-line search:

The first thing that needs to be done is check the system charge. This is best done by recovering the system and recharging it to the proper level, measuring how much comes out. Second best would be a gauge set to check the pressures. The most common cause of a compressor not engaging is low charge.

If charge is ok there are still quite a few things it could be. The low pressure switch on the accumulator, high pressure switch on the compressor, a/c control head, TIPM (module/fuse box under the hood), and wiring to any of the components is all suspect. Some electrical testing will need to be done to see what is going on, a scan tool may be needed depending on where the problem is.

Source:

The above information is from CREWZIN's post #5 in the thread below. (Carey will always be with us in this website)

No Power To A/C; Other Electrical Glitches
Sinbad likes this.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 06:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

While it's empty of gas anyway, after 11 years I would still replace the R/D as a matter of course - and make sure the Orifice Tube is clear / working - because that will throw all sorts of things at you if it isnt. Even if you do something crude like take the pipe off and backwash it with brake cleaner it will clear the filter - which after 11 years is probably not that wonderful.

Just don't waste your money gassing it til you've done everything reasonable and pressure tested.

Been there. Done that...