Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lower heat shield

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2018, 08:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Lower heat shield

Trying to pull the head on my 01 2.4L, and I need to take the lower heat shield off to get to the bottom exhaust flange bolt. The two outer ones came out easily while taking off the upper heat shield (actually they snapped in two), but I can't get the middle one out. It loosened without trouble, but now it just turns, as though it's another bolt like the outside ones.

I can't get my hand up in there to feel what is going on. Is there a trick to this?
Old 28 Aug 2018, 08:14 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Lower heat shield

I have a Gen2 so it may be different but as I recall, the middle bolt of the heat shield is double ended. One end is used for the nut that holds the heat shield and the other end screws into the exhaust manifold to hold it onto the bracket. If possible, don't take this apart, it will be an absolute nightmare putting it back together because the exhaust manifold must be aligned with the head AND must fit onto the bracket.

Here's a picture of what the bolt looks like where someone (not me) took the entire head and manifold off the engine in one piece.

I did remove the heat shields to get the manifold off the head but in retrospect, I didn't need to and I spent several hours trying to get everything lined back up especially the exhaust manifold back to the head. I thought I was cross threading the bolt into the head and was kicking myself until I used my inspection camera to see that the holes were simply not lined up properly. You simply cannot get a good view of the holes because there is such a small space between the engine and the firewall.

I used Kroil penetrant on the exhaust manifold bolts and they all came out easily. Just be prepared for a lot of smoke when you restart the engine as the penetrant burns off. It smelled different from exhaust or burning motor oil so it didn't take long to notice that the smoke wasn't a big problem.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 11:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, rsrocket. Any suggestions on how to get to the bottom manifold to exhaust pipe flange bolt If I don't remove the heat shield?
Old 28 Aug 2018, 12:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I think you can remove the top nuts to get the blanket off. My main suggestion was to not take the bolt off the bracket or manifold. The three rusted nuts you see hold the quilted looking blanket in place. I think you had to do some maneuvering to get the blanket out of the way but when you do, you could probably get to the flange.

Not only did I remove the nuts, but I also took the bolts off and the bracket off and I really didn't need to do so. The bolts on the side weren't too difficult to put back in but taking the center bolt out was my mistake. Putting the manifold back on then became a real chore because there was nothing to support the manifold up to the head. I had to use a floor jack to lift the exhaust to line up the holes to the header.
Old 29 Aug 2018, 02:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was planning to remove the head with the manifold attached; that's why I'm trying to disconnect the manifold from the exhaust. Would I be better served just removing the manifold from the head?
Old 29 Aug 2018, 12:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Reassembly and lining up the bolt holes notwithstanding, the head was very easy to take out without the exhaust manifold attached. I allowed the penetrant to soak for just a few minutes and the bolts came off quite easily and were completely reusable. Some say you should get help but I had no problem removing the head by myself. Just take it slow and be very careful not to bump into anything.

Because the headbolts are supposed to be torque to yield, I bought a new set of headbolts. A Youtube suggestion was to cut the heads off 2 bolts and cut a slot in the top. Then you can partially screw these bolts into the block and use them as "guide pins" when reinstalling the head and use a flat blade screwdriver to unscrew the bolts after the head is back on. I used a sawzall (reciprocating electric saw) to cut the heads off the bolts and simply used some masking tape on the top to allow me to unscrew the bolts once the head was back on the block.

Make sure you clean out any fluid from the head bolt cavities so you don't damage the block when torquing down the head bolts. Also make very certain you don't drop anything down the wrong hole. I thought I was wicking out oil from a head bolt hole when in fact I stuck a piece of rolled up paper towel down an oil duct and the paper towel disappeared! Fortunately, it dropped straight down into the oil pan and I was able to remove the oil pan and recover the paper towel.

Paper towel in oil pan using inspection camera through the oil drain plug hole

Paper towel in oil pan after taking the oil pan off

This would have probably clogged the pickup screen and starved the engine of oil -->> Dead PT engine.

Old 30 Aug 2018, 12:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, rsrocket. That tip about using the old bolts as guides is very helpful.