PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
To change or not to change... that is the question

 
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Fk5
  • 2 Post By Sinbad
  • 1 Post By Sinbad
  • 1 Post By Fk5

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2018, 04:27 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 598
Default To change or not to change... that is the question

Gearbox oil on a Getrag 5 speed... same box as all PT's but slightly different ratios for the diesel

260K Km (162K miles)

It has what I would call "a bit of a growl" - nothing loud or scary, but that kind of hollow low whine which sounds to me like final drive more than gears

It's in all the gears, so again, final drive rather than gears methinks unless anyone has any other ideas.

I know these are sposed to be "sealed for life" but that means diddly to me - oil should be changed, it wears out, and 160000 miles is a lot... BUT you hear horror stories about the boxes going tits after the oils changed

Whats the consensus? leave well alone or change the slippery stuff?

PS: it doesn't change that well - not bad, but not exactly like butter - but then at 160K what do you want..?
__________________
_________________________________________
'07 2.2 CRD

Last edited by Sinbad; 19 Sep 2018 at 04:29 am. Reason: PS...
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2018, 07:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: To change or not to change... that is the question

I'm not familiar with the Getrag, but every manual shift gear box I've ever owned had a drain plug and a fill plug. Sometimes a funnel with a long piece of hose attached and someone to pour the new gear oil in while I was under the car to put the plug in was needed, but I always changed mine after 100,000 miles. You should either change it yourself or take it to a REPUTABLE shop. I'm not sure what type of fluid the Getrag takes, either. You need to make sure the correct stuff goes in or it might go tits up.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2018, 10:08 am
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,882
Default Re: To change or not to change... that is the question

All PTs do not have a Getrag. Most have a New Venture 350. The GTs, like mine, have a Getrag 288, I believe. They all should have a drain plug and a fill plug. The fill plug doubles to check fluid level - you fill it until it runs out. Once it stops you're good. I think the NV350 has a rubber fill plug, but on the Getrag you should make sure the fill plug comes out before you drain, otherwise you might not be able to refill. most people use one of those little pumps you get at Harbor Freight, but I have heard of people using a funnel with a long hose. I think they call for ATF+4, but I am not sure what conventional wisdom is for what to use. I know you have a diesel, so YMMV. I should be doing this job shortly.
Sinbad likes this.
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles

Last edited by Fk5; 19 Sep 2018 at 10:10 am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2018, 04:34 pm
Sinbad's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 598
Default Re: To change or not to change... that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
All PTs do not have a Getrag. Most have a New Venture 350. The GTs, like mine, have a Getrag 288, I believe. They all should have a drain plug and a fill plug. The fill plug doubles to check fluid level - you fill it until it runs out. Once it stops you're good. I think the NV350 has a rubber fill plug, but on the Getrag you should make sure the fill plug comes out before you drain, otherwise you might not be able to refill. most people use one of those little pumps you get at Harbor Freight, but I have heard of people using a funnel with a long hose. I think they call for ATF+4, but I am not sure what conventional wisdom is for what to use. I know you have a diesel, so YMMV. I should be doing this job shortly.
Thats all as per the book FK - including the good advice on "Fill Plug First"

It is ATF4 - but the service manual doesn't give a change interval - they only show a drain as a prelude to working on the box.

I think I'll follow my instincts and change it.

What could possibly go wrong...
rckstein and Fk5 like this.
__________________
_________________________________________
'07 2.2 CRD
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2018, 07:00 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: To change or not to change... that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Thats all as per the book FK - including the good advice on "Fill Plug First"

It is ATF4 - but the service manual doesn't give a change interval - they only show a drain as a prelude to working on the box.

I think I'll follow my instincts and change it.

What could possibly go wrong...
Famous last words
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 19 Sep 2018, 07:14 pm
rckstein's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,518
Default Re: To change or not to change... that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Thats all as per the book FK - including the good advice on "Fill Plug First"

It is ATF4 - but the service manual doesn't give a change interval - they only show a drain as a prelude to working on the box.

I think I'll follow my instincts and change it.

What could possibly go wrong...
Per the Owner's Manual, change the manual transaxle fluid every 48,000 miles:



I follow Maintenance Schedule "B" for my PT because it takes into consideration harsher driving conditions and environment.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 20 Sep 2018, 01:36 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 598
Default Re: To change or not to change... that is the question

I've never seen an owners manual

My gearbox has never seen new oil either

Well thats that then. Oil change it is...
rckstein likes this.
__________________
_________________________________________
'07 2.2 CRD
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 20 Sep 2018, 08:30 am
Fk5 Fk5 is offline
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,882
Default Re: To change or not to change... that is the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Per the Owner's Manual, change the manual transaxle fluid every 48,000 miles:



I follow Maintenance Schedule "B" for my PT because it takes into consideration harsher driving conditions and environment.
Cool. I have only missed 3.4 changes!
rckstein likes this.
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel economy change with tire size change? Calab Tech & Performance Forum 7 11 Aug 2011 06:24 pm
QUESTION ABOUT TRANSMISSION OIL CHANGE ON A 06 PT CRUISER Cyclone35 General PT Cruiser Discussions 12 02 May 2011 11:53 pm
Plug change procedure question sawdust123 General Turbo Discussions 14 07 Dec 2007 04:04 pm
Oil change question. stirfry General PT Cruiser Discussions 8 21 Jun 2004 11:46 am
Your change to see the Presto Change-O in person! Got My PT Vendors & Buyers Forum 0 04 Oct 2002 07:45 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors