Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Recurring problem with A/C or engine.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2018, 12:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Recurring problem with A/C or engine.

We've been having a recurring problem with our 04 PT (126k miles) for most of the year:

With A/C engaged, the engine will run a little rough (mostly when idling in traffic). Then, the A/C compressor blows out some refrigerant, and A/C stops cooling. I can top off the system to get it cooling again, but in a few weeks or so, the problem returns. I replaced both fan relays a couple months ago. The fan is going to high speed when compressor is engaged (fan replaced around 25k miles ago). Plugs and wires are new.

Does this sound like a compressor issue, or maybe timing belt related(belt may be due for replacing)? Thanks.
Old 05 Oct 2018, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Recurring problem with A/C or engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
We've been having a recurring problem with our 04 PT (126k miles) for most of the year:

With A/C engaged, the engine will run a little rough (mostly when idling in traffic). Then, the A/C compressor blows out some refrigerant, and A/C stops cooling. I can top off the system to get it cooling again, but in a few weeks or so, the problem returns. I replaced both fan relays a couple months ago. The fan is going to high speed when compressor is engaged (fan replaced around 25k miles ago). Plugs and wires are new.

Does this sound like a compressor issue, or maybe timing belt related(belt may be due for replacing)? Thanks.
I would suggest checking the radiator fan plug connection on both ends. Others have found burnt wiring, burnt contacts inside, contacts inside the plug pushed in. If both ends of the radiator plug looks good then I would suggest the brushes in the radiator fan might be working properly sometimes and sometimes not.
Old 05 Oct 2018, 02:40 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm getting voltage to the fan harness (both low/high) where it connects to the fan assembly. Have yet to get any low speed activity though (high is working). I'm not 100% sure the low speed voltage is going beyond the harness. Hurricane Flo mosquitos were about to carry me away, so I'm going to have to move the car inside my workshop.

When does the low speed segment of the fan operate?
Old 05 Oct 2018, 03:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

low speed is always on except the computer MAY (don't quote me) shut of at maybe 50 or 60 mph. pull the belt and make sure the pulley spins (engine off).
Old 05 Oct 2018, 03:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I'm getting voltage to the fan harness (both low/high) where it connects to the fan assembly. Have yet to get any low speed activity though (high is working). I'm not 100% sure the low speed voltage is going beyond the harness. Hurricane Flo mosquitos were about to carry me away, so I'm going to have to move the car inside my workshop.

When does the low speed segment of the fan operate?
This chart is for a 2003 Pt Cruiser.

Radiator Fan Operation Chart 2003.jpg

I would suggest manually applying 12 volts to both speeds at the radiator plug to see if they are both working properly.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radiator fan chart.png (9.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 05 Oct 2018 at 03:30 pm.
Old 05 Oct 2018, 03:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

How did the subject get centered on the fan? In his post he states that the fan works. The question as I see it is, why does it idle rough?

Might want to check and see if the mounts are worn.

Also you appear to have a leak in your A/c system. If it is leaking down in a few weeks, sounds like a good size leak. Have a shop check it or get some dye and a black light.

IMO, I don't see a problem with the fan.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 05 Oct 2018, 03:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

[QUOTE=Rumble;695061] Have yet to get any low speed activity though (high is working). I'm not 100% sure the low speed voltage is going beyond the harness.

When does the low speed segment of the fan operate?[/QUOTE

he asked ?
Old 05 Oct 2018, 03:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

and to the op...if you do have to swap the comp and you need the car... there may or may not be a lot of other things you want to address. our rough idle disappeared when I fixed oil leaking into the spark plug well, changed the valve cover gasket, AND, the intake manifold was leaking...(and one spark plug was oddly corroded!)
you may have some compound issues that need to be addressed at your mileage. these guys will help you get there
Old 05 Oct 2018, 04:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

[QUOTE=rambojoe;695067]
Quote:
Have yet to get any low speed activity though (high is working). I'm not 100% sure the low speed voltage is going beyond the harness.

When does the low speed segment of the fan operate?[/QUOTE

he asked ?
OK. I see that.

Unless the temp goes up enough, not going to see low speed operation. Maybe they are doing all of their checking after startup when everything is cool.
rambojoe likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 05 Oct 2018, 04:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

I definitely wasn't sure about always... ours definitely- always! is there something in the computer that shuts it off at highway speeds? like the dodge cummins fan clutch sorta deal?

Tags
a/c problems, timing belt