Advertisements
Anyone have transmission replaced

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2018, 05:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Anyone have transmission replaced

I have an 05 GT auto and i think the transmission has gone out. Wont go move in reverse just higher rpm's and in drive it will move slowly but makes a terrible grinding sound.i actually bought another transmission from the same year and model, really clean totaled in right rear.
My question is, how difficult is it to do it yourself with a buddy? I have done old turbo 350 and 400 from back in the day but nothing electronic. Any advice, pictures, videos or other help is appreciated!

Last edited by War_Eagle; 15 Oct 2018 at 05:36 pm.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 07:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone have transmission replaced

Check your axles/cv joints and the intermediate shaft. If one of those is broken or going out, it can cause the issues you describe.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 10:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

The boots on the cv joints are intact and there isnt any grease around them, so. I don't know what else to look at with them?
Old 16 Oct 2018, 08:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Eagle View Post
The boots on the cv joints are intact and there isnt any grease around them, so. I don't know what else to look at with them?
Well, it is not to say your trans isn't really finished, but just something to check before you tear it apart.

You can jack up the front end of the car, so both wheels are off the ground. Use jack stands for safety. Then you can turn each wheel and look for a wobbling shaft or CV. And check that they haven't popped out of the trans or that the intermediate shaft on the passenger side in behind the engine is okay too. Again, maybe they are fine and your trans is finished, but checking is free and a smaller pain in the behind than a transmission swap.
Old 16 Oct 2018, 09:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Thank, just didn't know what else to check or how....
Old 16 Oct 2018, 06:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Ours went out at 68K just a few years ago. Was replaced under warranty, so can't tell you much other than it was replaced with a reman by dealership. It was not going into gear (except limp home mode) and also had no reverse. Never made a noise that I recall. BTW, it was the 2nd Chrysler product we owned with trans failure.