PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mileage on odometer shows 76000 FIXD unit states 115000?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Oct 2018, 11:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Mileage on odometer shows 76000 FIXD unit states 115000?

I was purchasing a 2007 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring in April 2018. During the purchase I noticed a few things that needed to be done. It only had 72,000 miles on it great shape and I felt a little roughness. Well the dealer, since we bought 2 other PT cruisers from him had the head rebuilt and the timing belt changed. We completed the purchase but things just seem to keep going wrong with it. My wife had bought me a FIXD unit for Christmas so put it in the car. I started having some stumbling and it told me I needed to have my ignition unit changed so I did which was inexpensive for me to do. I kept hearing a knocking when I’d start the car up and felt that the heads weren’t done properly so I took it back to the dealer and he ended up taking it to the mechanic and they checked it out saying everything was fine . Not claiming to be a mechanic I took the word of my dealer friend. Recently with the fixd unit still hooked up I received a text stating that my 115 thousand mile service was coming up. Now it doesn’t make sense because it says my 115 thousand service is due but yet I only have 76,000 miles on it. Anybody have any answers to my question? Is my odometer incorrect? Did it get changed? How to find out for sure?
Old 25 Oct 2018, 01:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Mileage on odometer shows 76000 FIXD unit states 115000?

The 'roughness' may be due to the timing belt being a tooth off.

You should do the 'key dance' to see if any engine codes show up. Record them and report back. And/or go to a Autozone type parts store and ask them to check your car with their scan tool [free]. Record them. Or you can go to a Chrysler dealership [different one ?] and ask them to check it [$100 charge]. They should be able to give you a partial history on the car [mileage, service,etc.]. And a printout of the options/equipment the car had when it left the factory.

What's a FIXD ?
Old 25 Oct 2018, 02:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your answer. I’ll check with a different dealer. Here is info on fixd. Fixdapp.com
Old 25 Oct 2018, 09:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, it looks like your FIXD device ( I had no idea what this was either until I followed your link) is reading the mileage stored in the PCM. This is a secondary counter and its reading is never displayed on the dash. It is usually close to the odometer reading on the dash but rarely exact. Usually within a few hundred miles.

There are two reasons which would have such a wide gap between the two readings. Either the PCM has been changed with a used unit and the mileage wasn't updated in it (very possible), OR, the instrument cluster has been swapped out with one from another car which had lower miles (very possible too. I am not saying your used car dealer is a crook, but they could be. It could have been swapped out by the previous owner before trading it in too.) The dealer can look into the instrument cluster to see if the vin matches the car. If it doesn't it has been swapped out. You can check to see if your PCM is original too. Open the hood and bend down and try to read the side of the pcm looking in from the driver side. You should see a long white sticker and in the lower right corner of the sticker are the last 6 digits of the vin the PCM was originally installed in. If the vin matches your car, then its very likely the instrument cluster has been messed with.
Old 25 Oct 2018, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the information. I have some long days ahead but will check it on Monday. Will post my findings.