PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Blow Off Valve Conversion Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2004, 11:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default Blow Off Valve Conversion Kit

Has any body tried this and is this just for turbo PT's? Does it work?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 11:37 am
Dedicated Cruiser

I think a BOV is only for turbos but may be wrong. Interesting thread: http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...earchTerms=bov
Old 17 Jul 2004, 11:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Thanks Gary that answers my question. I don't need it

Gonz
Old 17 Jul 2004, 08:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

BOVs are for turbo'd vehicles only....

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 11:36 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Some useful information that I found:

What is a BOV?

ANSWER:
"There is a lot of confusion over what a BOV is and what they are good for. First of all, the name "blow-off valve" is not a very good name. In fact, the Chrysler factory services manuals call it by it's real name: the "turbo bypass valve". Somehow this valve earned the name "BOV" in the turbocharged world and it has stuck. A real blow-off valve is the same thing as a "pop-off valve", which is a valve that will suddenly open and a certain pressure to maintain that pressure (kind of like a pressure regulator). To avoid this obvious confusion, while maintaining the nomenclature of the turbo world, I will refer to the turbo bypass valve as a blow-off valve, or BOV. In a way, the turbo bypass valve does work like a pop-off valve, since they will open at a certain pressure and maintain it (about 15 psi for Chrysler's valves). This may be how it earned that name, however that is not how it is used, so who knows. So in summary, turbo bypass valve = BOV on this page.

On a turbo engine, the BOV is used to relieve the pressure from the turbo output when the throttle is closed. These valves are only used on engines with the blow-through turbo setup. For more information on this, see the Turbocharger Concepts page. The BOV is basically a vacuum-actuated valve that opens when sufficient vacuum is present. Vacuum is supplied by a connection on the throttle body, while the BOV inlet is connected to the turbo output hose. On 1988 or later Chrysler Turbo I and Turbo III engines, the BOV is placed inside that airbox to suppress noise and prevent the BOV from sucking in dirty air.

While in boost, the valve remains closed and the turbo pumps air into the engine normally. Without the BOV, when the throttle is closed the turbo is suddenly trying to pump air against a closed throttle plate. This creates a pressure spike in the turbo output hose and sends a pressure "wave" crashing back and forth between the throttle plate and the turbo compresser blades. The pressure spike quickly slows down the turbo and the pressure wave can actually damage the turbo. On intercooled engines, this pressure wave effect is suppressed but the pressure spike still occurs. When the throttle is opened again, the turbo has to spin up again, creating turbo lag. If a BOV is present, the BOV will open as soon as the throttle is closed, releasing the pressure spike into the airbox and avoiding the pressure wave phenomena..."
Old 20 Jul 2004, 05:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gary04GT

Some useful information that I found:

What is a BOV?

ANSWER:
"There is a lot of confusion over what a BOV is and what they are good for. First of all, the name "blow-off valve" is not a very good name. In fact, the Chrysler factory services manuals call it by it's real name: the "turbo bypass valve". Somehow this valve earned the name "BOV" in the turbocharged world and it has stuck. A real blow-off valve is the same thing as a "pop-off valve", which is a valve that will suddenly open and a certain pressure to maintain that pressure (kind of like a pressure regulator). To avoid this obvious confusion, while maintaining the nomenclature of the turbo world, I will refer to the turbo bypass valve as a blow-off valve, or BOV. In a way, the turbo bypass valve does work like a pop-off valve, since they will open at a certain pressure and maintain it (about 15 psi for Chrysler's valves). This may be how it earned that name, however that is not how it is used, so who knows. So in summary, turbo bypass valve = BOV on this page.

On a turbo engine, the BOV is used to relieve the pressure from the turbo output when the throttle is closed. These valves are only used on engines with the blow-through turbo setup. For more information on this, see the Turbocharger Concepts page. The BOV is basically a vacuum-actuated valve that opens when sufficient vacuum is present. Vacuum is supplied by a connection on the throttle body, while the BOV inlet is connected to the turbo output hose. On 1988 or later Chrysler Turbo I and Turbo III engines, the BOV is placed inside that airbox to suppress noise and prevent the BOV from sucking in dirty air.

While in boost, the valve remains closed and the turbo pumps air into the engine normally. Without the BOV, when the throttle is closed the turbo is suddenly trying to pump air against a closed throttle plate. This creates a pressure spike in the turbo output hose and sends a pressure "wave" crashing back and forth between the throttle plate and the turbo compresser blades. The pressure spike quickly slows down the turbo and the pressure wave can actually damage the turbo. On intercooled engines, this pressure wave effect is suppressed but the pressure spike still occurs. When the throttle is opened again, the turbo has to spin up again, creating turbo lag. If a BOV is present, the BOV will open as soon as the throttle is closed, releasing the pressure spike into the airbox and avoiding the pressure wave phenomena..."
Well, that is as good an explanation as any I suppose...just kidding, very good info.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 05 Sep 2004, 09:26 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie

So installing a DC BOV (https://www.1stchryslerparts.com/pro...c977bfbdbdb6d4) will help improve the car's performance and maintain the longevity of the turbo? Is this an easy install? I'm not a mechanic, but I am intelligent enough (I hope) to figure it out with a good set of instructions and diagrams. Also, is it a simple bolt on mod? Any special set of tools?

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 06 Sep 2004, 03:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There's been a lot of talk about this is the turbo performance section.
Appartently has no impact on performance per se, and has questionable benefit for longevity.
nice noisemaker tho.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 07 Sep 2004, 11:43 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to RallyDRock

The air diverter valve keeps the airflow velocity in the intake piping and prevents side loads on the turbo's bearings due to the rapid closing of the throttle plate.
Because our cars use a speed density system for calculating fuel injector duty cycle it is possible to vent to the atmosphere creating the sound that some like. On cars with mass airflow sensors the bypass/diverter/bov will need to vent back into the intake tract to avoid a rich mixture.

The valve is not really necessary for an automatic transmission turbo car because the throttle doesnt close during shifts.

i have recently installed a turbo on my '01 and all i can say is
rip the f out [8)] [?]
Old 07 Sep 2004, 11:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

I am interested in turbocharging my 01. How much in total did it end up costing you? Have you had any problems with it?
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)