after action report: warning lights

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By 944tim
  • 2 Post By rob302

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2018, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default after action report: warning lights

ok. couple weeks ago I posted 'electrical problems warning lights etc.
all the warning lights were on, PTSteve advised me to check wiring in steering column, I did, found some loose wiring, fixed it. Still did not work correctly. (I sathe video by world mechanic. I replaced ignition switch, and the dash warning light problem was fixed. HOWEVER. the pin on the end of the ignition actuator was broken off. Ok, replace that. Which part?
Dorman 924-704 or 924-739?
as far as I could tell it was 924-739. We could not figure out how to take it apart to replace it. I noticed that the part I had was too short to work, and we could not get it apart without breaking something. Next day: go to pick&pull, where there are 17 PTs of various years, found one that had a key,pulled the entire assembly from keylock to ign switch pulled it out and walked out for ten bucks. Extract old lock cylinder, install ours, swap out ignition switch for a new one, installed entire assembly and everything works perfectly.

tl:dr did what Steve said,verified wires&connector and went to the junkyard. its all good.
hobby car:87 Porsche 944, currently in restoration mode.
99 F250 for hauling stuff.
Old 07 Nov 2018, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: after action report: warning lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944tim View Post
ok. couple weeks ago I posted 'electrical problems warning lights etc.
all the warning lights were on, PTSteve advised me to check wiring in steering column, I did, found some loose wiring, fixed it. Still did not work correctly. (I sathe video by world mechanic. I replaced ignition switch, and the dash warning light problem was fixed. HOWEVER. the pin on the end of the ignition actuator was broken off. Ok, replace that. Which part?
Dorman 924-704 or 924-739?
as far as I could tell it was 924-739. We could not figure out how to take it apart to replace it. I noticed that the part I had was too short to work, and we could not get it apart without breaking something. Next day: go to pick&pull, where there are 17 PTs of various years, found one that had a key,pulled the entire assembly from keylock to ign switch pulled it out and walked out for ten bucks. Extract old lock cylinder, install ours, swap out ignition switch for a new one, installed entire assembly and everything works perfectly.

tl:dr did what Steve said,verified wires&connector and went to the junkyard. its all good.
Glad you were able to fix the issues. Sometimes there are more than one problem that confuses the results of the diagnosis. Make sure you keep the the weight off the key ring. Sometimes it will wear out the ignition switch faster.
Old 07 Nov 2018, 03:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: after action report: iiiii0[jer;lijefefrjl;erfi0wer l;ijlights

i bulletproofed mine. it broke the day after i was hours away from home at a concert with a car load of friend and it made my car not start. kinda freaked me out. lol

it's a grinder'd 2" x 3/8 drive extension

Tags
ignition actuator, ignition switch, no power to speedo, warning lights