Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'05 pt cruiser temp gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2018, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default '05 pt cruiser temp gauge

So I ran into a fun little problem this morning, my car decided that it was going to say it was overheating. Cool no problem, ill just go through and make sure nothing is leaking or clogged. WRONG. I checked the coolant level and bruped the cooling system for good measure as it has been 3 years since any coolant had been added to it. It fixed the issue for a few minutes. Than when i hopped in the car to take it for a test drive the temperature gauge immediately pegged out at the top. So just to be cautious i coasted the car home since i was only a few blocks away from my home. I check the codes to see if anything came up and no codes were being shown. I bought a new thermostat just to be on the safe side and am going to burp it again tomorrow morning. I drove the car about 30 minutes ago after letting it "cool" down for about 4 hours, and lo and behold the temp gauge was saying that it was at normal operating temperatures. After i drove it i noticed the temp gauge drop down to the first notch, than skyrocket up to the top with my cluster yelling at me non stop about the car "overheating". I actually saw the needle climb up PAST the very top notch on the temp gauge and than drop back down to normal operating temperatures. I will be buying a coolant temp sensor tomorrow as well just to eliminate that possibility. I was thinking maybe the ground on the block is corroded? I was thinking about maybe adding another ground wire from the block to the chassis just to be on the safe side. Have any of you ran into this kind of problem before? If you did, what kind of fixes did you guys have to do?

Last edited by DannyP1317; 08 Nov 2018 at 10:39 am.
Old 08 Nov 2018, 09:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '05 pt cruiser temp gauge

Engine light on? If so any codes?