Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can't Fill Gas Tank + Gas Lows Out on the Ground

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Nov 2018, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Can't Fill Gas Tank + Gas Lows Out on the Ground

Like the title mentions. I can't get any fuel into my car's gas tank, it acts like the tank is full and the station's pump shuts off almost immediately.

What little gas that I can get out of the pump, flows out on the ground on what looks to be the driver's side of the tank.

I filled it up earlier in the week, done a bunch of driving and needed to fill it for the work week when this happened.

It was cold here for the last two days (20 degrees vs 50 degrees like earlier in the week). I'm trying gas line antifreeze to see if maybe it's a possible ice jam.

First time this has ever happened to me with this car and I've owned it for five years now.

I read some of the other posts on this site, but none of them mentioned gas flowing out on the ground.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 03:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Can't Fill Gas Tank + Gas Lows Out on the Ground

Petrol freezes around -60 C
Old 26 Nov 2018, 03:09 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450HP View Post
Like the title mentions. I can't get any fuel into my car's gas tank, it acts like the tank is full and the station's pump shuts off almost immediately.

What little gas that I can get out of the pump, flows out on the ground on what looks to be the driver's side of the tank.

I filled it up earlier in the week, done a bunch of driving and needed to fill it for the work week when this happened.

It was cold here for the last two days (20 degrees vs 50 degrees like earlier in the week). I'm trying gas line antifreeze to see if maybe it's a possible ice jam.

First time this has ever happened to me with this car and I've owned it for five years now.

I read some of the other posts on this site, but none of them mentioned gas flowing out on the ground.
There have been cases (with other cars - not PT's that I'm aware of) where the feed hose / pipe from the fuel filler to the tank either corrodes or collapses - fuel on floor either way.

Maybe stick your head under the back and have a look if it's OK.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 05:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

As others stated, check to see if the filler neck is corroded or has damage. I wouldn't bother trying the fuel line antifreeze, Gasoline freezes at an extremely low temperature. So unless you have a 2.2CRD engine, it's not frozen.
Old 26 Nov 2018, 06:56 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
As others stated, check to see if the filler neck is corroded or has damage. I wouldn't bother trying the fuel line antifreeze, Gasoline freezes at an extremely low temperature. So unless you have a 2.2CRD engine, it's not frozen.
There's too much 2-stroke in my diesel for it to ever freeze
Old 27 Nov 2018, 10:33 am
Young Cruiser

My filler neck rusted through a few years back. I had to get one from a salvage yard as a replacement.

I had no problems with the pump shutting off but I did have gas pooling up under the car when filling.

PT Fuel Filler Neck
Old 28 Nov 2018, 04:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

If the filler neck was rusted thru, I would not think that would keep him from being able to pump gas. Rusted filler neck would basically act the same as pumping with the nozzle out of the car.

I dont think it has anything to do with fuel, but to all who say fuel freezes at crazy cold temps, you are correct. BUT, these blended gases contain more water than pure gas and we all know water locks up at 32.

Cars do have a check valve in the filler neck to prevent fuel from coming out of the tank during a roll over. It is possible that check valve is stuck preventing fuel from going to the tank and your filler neck may also be corroded allowing the fuel to run out. Remove the filler neck to see where you obstruction is.

You didn't by chance possibly run over something that may have kicked up and kinked the filler neck or some crazy jacking job that may have done the same?
Old 29 Nov 2018, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Maybe a combination of a clogged vent and saturated charcoal filter? I would think that he'd have a CEL if the charcoal canister was full of gas, though.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.